Honored Contributor

NATIONAL LICORICE DAY

National Licorice Day on April 12th each year celebrates licorice in all its forms.

It also recognizes its history, health benefits, and distinction around the world. You won't be limited when it comes to licorice, either. There are plenty of licorice candies, licorice ropes, jelly beans, jewels, and many others to enjoy!

Of course, the designation has evolved as people savor all types and flavors of licorice to celebrate the day.

If you're a fan of black licorice and have noticed it makes your tummy feel better, there is a reason. Licorice root can soothe a stomach bothered by heartburn or gastritis. The glycyrrhizic acid in licorice contains immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to restore balance to the stomach lining.

That is definitely something worth celebrating!

Grab a few black jelly beans from the candy jar for this holiday!

Honored Contributor

NATIONAL LICORICE DAY HISTORY

Licorice International in coordination with the National Confectioners Association designated April 12th as National Licorice Day in 2004. The company offers nearly 100 types of licorice from all over the world.

Licorice FAQ

Q. Are there any benefits from eating licorice?

A. Eating black licorice can calm an upset stomach. It's also known to help soothe a sore throat. Licorice also has antibacterial properties.

Q. Can I grow licorice at home?

A. Licorice is hardy in zones 9-11. However, this tropical plant can also be grown in cooler climates when grown in containers.

Honored Contributor

5 Happy Tax Day Images to Post on Social Media

Honored Contributor

Red Licorice Day...YAY!

Tax Day....BOOOO !!!

@ChiliPepper 

I don't think I am adventurous enuf to try to make my own licorice!!!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Red Licorice Day...YAY!

Tax Day....BOOOO !!!

@ChiliPepper 

I don't think I am adventurous enuf to try to make my own licorice!!!

@RespectLife 

Ya, me neither. I didn't even realize you COULD make licorice.

It doesn't look as hard as I thought. Maybe into the "When I Retire" pile!

Honored Contributor

Eggs Benedict Day (April 16) | This Day in History #3

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

5 Happy Tax Day Images to Post on Social Media

@ChiliPepper @RespectLife 

😂😂😂 This is ABSOLUTELY the funniest thing I have seen today!😂

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

NATIONAL EGGS BENEDICT DAY

On April 16th, National Eggs Benedict Day celebrates a long-favored breakfast or brunch dish. Eggs Benedict consists of poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce and Canadian bacon or ham on English muffin halves.

There are two different stories as to how Eggs Benedict came to be.

• In 1894 stockbroker Lemuel Benedict ordered “buttered toast, poached eggs, crisp bacon, and a side of Hollandaise”  at the Waldorf Hotel. They were so impressed with the dish that they put it on the menu, substituting ham and English muffins in place of the bacon and toast.
  • In the early 18th century, Pope Benedict XIII liked an egg dish so much that he requested it time and time again. Many believe that Pope Benedict XIII had an illness that added to his desire for this particular egg dish, hence the name Eggs Benedict.

Some restaurants serve their own versions of Eggs Benedict. Mix it up by substituting the ham for salmon or corned beef. Add sliced tomatoes or steamed asparagus. Replace the English muffin with thick, crusty toast or thin, crisp bagels.

There are so many ways to be creative in the kitchen.

The important elements with Eggs Benedict are properly poached eggs and a perfect hollandaise sauce. When the yolk and sauce blend with all the other ingredients, this meal is divine. 

Honored Contributor

Eggs Benedict FAQ

Q. Why is my hollandaise sauce runny?

A. Hollandaise is one of the more temperamental sauces to make. It's a balancing act of egg yolks, butter, lemon juice, and mixing. If you've melded these ingredients together but the sauces is thin, one quick fix is adding a small amount of thickener like starch over a little heat in a double boiler. You can also add more butter or more egg yolks.

Q. Why did my hollandaise sauce curdle?

A. The likely cause is too much heat. You will need to start again because there's no fixing curdled hollandaise.

Q. Can I use a fried egg for Eggs Benedict?

A. It's not Eggs Benedict unless the egg is poached. Poached eggs create a creamier texture than fried eggs, no matter how slow or gently you fry them.

Honored Contributor

A plate with two eggs benedict which includes english muffin topped with a slice of canadian bacon, poached eggs and homemade hollandaise sauce.

Eggs Benedict with Homemade Hollandaise Sauce

Eggs Benedict is my favorite breakfast menu item, and it's super easy to make from home! It starts with a toasted english muffin, topped with a slice or two of Canadian bacon, a poached egg, and smothered in traditional Eggs Benedict sauce, called hollandaise sauce.

Prep Time: 10 minutes 
Cook Time: 25 minutes 
Total Time: 35 minutes

Servings: 4 people

Equipment

• slotted spoon

Ingredients

• 2 English muffins
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 slices Canadian bacon
  • Vinegar , just a splash

For the Hollandaise sauce:

• 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice , or lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
  • salt and pepper (to taste)

Instructions

For the Hollandaise sauce:

• Melt the butter in a small saucepan. In a separate small bowl, beat the egg yolks. Mix in lemon juice, whipping cream, and salt and pepper.
  • Add a small spoonful of the hot melted butter to the egg mixture and stir well. Repeat this process adding a spoonful at a time of hot butter to the egg mixture.( Adding the butter slowly, a spoonful at a time, will temper the eggs and ensure they don't curdle).
  • Once the butter has been incorporated, pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, for just 20-30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside. It will thicken as it cools. Stir well and add another splash of cream, if needed, to thin.

To poach the eggs:

• Fill a medium size pot with about 3 inches of water. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce heat until it reaches a simmer. You should see small bubbles coming to the surface but not rolling.  
  • Add a little splash of vinegar to the water (this is optional, but it helps the egg white to stay together once it is in the water).
  • Crack one egg into a small cup (I use a measuring cup).  Lower the egg into the simmer water, gently easing it out of the cup.
  • Cook the egg in simmering water for 3-5 minutes, depending on how soft you want your egg yolk. Remove the poached egg with a slotted spoon.
  • **It is not abnormal for a white foam to form on top of the water when poaching an egg. You can simple skim the foam off of the water with a spoon.
  • While the egg is cooking, place the slices of Canadian bacon in a large pan and cook on medium-high heat for about 1 minute on each side.

To Assemble:

• Toast the English muffin. Top each toasted side with a slice or two of Canadian bacon, and then a poached egg. Top with hollandaise sauce.

Nutrition

Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 408mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 228mg | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1.7mg