Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@ChiliPepper wrote:

NATIONAL WELSH RAREBIT DAY – September 3

NATIONAL WELSH RAREBIT DAY – September 3

NATIONAL WELSH RAREBIT DAY

On September 3rd, National Welsh Rarebit Day whips up a tasty and satisfying snack.

What is a rarebit? The cheesy toast was originally called Rabbit in a tongue-in-cheek way in the Welsh language because there is no rabbit in the meal.

Similar to mock turtle soup having no turtle in it, Welsh rarebit does not contain rabbit. Instead, this dish is made with toast that has hot cheese poured over it.

Over time, the dish became known as Welsh Rarebit – a nod to the inside joke.

In the eighteenth century, Welsh Rarebit was served as a delicious supper. Taverns served it with ale.

While fondue might come to mind, Welsh Rarebit more commonly uses wheat bread and cheddar cheese.

A typical European fondue would start with Swiss cheeses.

As with any dish, there are variations of Welsh Rarebit. Some of the recipes call for cayenne pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, or paprika. 

Top the cheese with a poached egg, and the dish becomes a Golden Buck. Add bacon, and some call the meal a Yorkshire Buck.

It also seems that humor goes well with Welsh Rarebit. Or at least it once did back when humor was tossed back and forth across the pond.

In any case, the creamy, cheesy, and toasty dish deserves a taste and a smile, too. 

Chili,

LOVED this post!  We definitely are SCHOOLED!  WHO KNEW!

I will enjoy reflecting on these Tidbits of Wisdom as I eat me some Welsh Rarebit.

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

I had NO IDEA that is what Welsh Rarebit is.

I too always thought it contained rabbit.

Thank goodness it doesn't!!!

Me Either @ChiliPepper 

That looks like Peanut Butter Toast!   LOL

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper 

What kinda soup you making?

It poured like the dickens late last night into early this morning.

DEF a soup day!

Athough they are claiming the temps will climb back up today....but they have been wrong about every forcast so far, so I'm not trusting them!

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 

ARGH!!  So sorry to hear about her Tahoe!  I hope they catch the (bad word for a criminal)!

I had my ugly grey stationwagon stolen back in the late 80's,  It was not a fun experience!

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of new yummy recipes on the September Recipe Game!

Honored Contributor

I'm ready for some hearty soups and stews...we are barely hitting 70 these days.

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone, I was about to say morning, then I realized it is way past that!

YAY, any fast moving Monday is a GOOD Monday!

I was going to try that peach recipe @Writer with Flair shared but the peaches at Weg were OOOGLY to say the least and very soft!

I think I def want firmer ones for this recipe!  I'll look again this weekend!

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@tiny 2  thank goodness she finally left . . . good heavens . . . 🙄

Maybe shapewear isn't the right choice right now as now my foot is fine until I apply any pressure and then it reminds me of my personal  stupidity . . . 🤦

And oh gosh with all this extreme weather. Maybe it would be good to have another place to go in case one gets temporarily overwhelmed.   Prayers for those folks in LA, they are already struggling and now with this incoming hurricane Ida . . . those healthcare workers must be exhausted . . . 🙏❤

@momtochloe 

Sometimes bracing the rib area will help decrease pain, however you may actually have some fractures or small hairline fractures in your foot. That is easy to happen with a falling object. Makes me cringe, ouchie.

One thing I have found about foot pain is hot soaks in heavily salted water really does ease it a lot. It is worth the trouble. I hope they are better soon. Did you like the ladder? I need something like that.You probably haven't been able to try it yet but tell me more about it when you do. I fell the last time I was on one. My husband found one with full size steps which is the best but sometimes it is not high enough.

They are predicting that "IDA" is going to be a Cat 4. I'd be evacuating from there. That is just not something to hang around for.

@tiny 2  what I bought is actually a long handled step stool so I can now get into the top shelves of cabinets and things.  I just love it and feel much more secure using it.  I have a nice three step one but I appreciate having a larger platform to stand on.

How are you feeling?  How are your ribs?  How are the "girls"?  ❤

@momtochloe 

Ribs are very painful. One girl is very bruised.LOL

Good afternoon Kitchenettes, hope all is well with you and yours.  @tiny 2  how are you and your gal pals feeling now?   Gosh I hope everything is healing nicely and thank goodness you have normal people to lend you a hand with the house.  So good to hear! ❤

@Writer with Flair  thinking of you and TX with the incoming hurricane.  Some parts have a chance of getting an eye watering amount of rain, prayers for yours and everyone's safety. 🙏

Nothing new here.  I think my AC is having issues since they did work on the overall building HVAC unit so I made the executive decision of turning it off.  Problem solved for now . . . I can't bear the thought of having that conversation with building management.  I have become quite the weenie . .  . 😳😬🙄😄

And I made Welsh Rarebit once, it's very good.  Thanks for the reminder @ChiliPepper  I'll have to try it again!

Take care everybody, enjoy your week and be safe . . . ❤🙏

Honored Contributor

Good morning everyone....today we are having the start of a few more days of summer of which I am very thankful for!

I am also thankful this Thursday for blessings and answered prayers and for the gift of friendships!

Hope all of you are well and safe!!

Honored Contributor

Morning!

SO...my first attempt at Sweet Pickles was a major bust.

I got a recipe called Craven County Sweet Pickles 

8 day process then another week.  I followed the recipe and instructions exactly.

WOWZA...there is nothing sweet about these pickles...and ALL that sugar!

The vinegar is so strong still it makes you cough!  LOL

I thought about adding more sugar or sweetener, but hate to keep throwing good ingredients after bad!  At least the cukes were free, but I think they are destined for the trash!