Respected Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

See the source image

Simply HILARIOUS!

Reminds me of Munch's, "The Scream."

The Scream, 1893 by Edvard Munch

Honored Contributor

Good morning Kitchenettes, happy Souper Sunday and for those that are celebrating the very happiest of Father's Day to you and your families . . .  Heart

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@VaBelle35 

You are right, there are two seasons of wheat; both grow in our area.  There is spring wheat and winter wheat but to be honest, I have never noticed a difference in how they bake.  In fact, I'm not sure how you would know which season of flour you are purchasing as most staples are made in advance and held in warehouses.  

I noticed with sugars, that when I purchase "sugar" instead of cane sugar, it tends to clump faster even in Lock N Lock.  Sometimes even before it leaves the stores.  I believe when sugar gathers moisture like that, it doesn't bake as well.  It's fine to use in other uses  like making sweet tea or in your coffee, but I wouldn't bake with it.

Gold Medal flour was always the flour my Mother used.  She never was much of a believer in using store brands until much later in life, but like me, there were some name brands she went back to and stayed loyal and GM was one of those.  I have used Pillsbury with success too so I don't much care if it is the P or GM.   Mom also noticed a huge difference in baking with butter vs. margarine and for the same reason-more fat in butter and more water in margarine plus she and Dad just didn't like the taste of margarine.  We have a local brand of butter she liked a lot but it got hard to find about the time Land o Lakes became popular and made its' way to the Midwest.  By the time Kerrygold became more available in our area, she was past her baking days.   I'm sure she would have loved cooking and baking with it.

Thanks for that explanation @mustang66lady 

I found a nice chart that shows the differences in wheat by brand:

Flour.PNG

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@mustang66lady wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

Oh @Writer with Flair it's so good to see you my friend!  I can imagine what a treat it was to hear from your friend.  There is nothing like after not hearing from someone for a while and then picking up your friendship exactly where you left it!

And please know I giggled out loud about your coupons as my eyes are half closed shut from too much sodium from my beloved Meijer coupons and enough potato chips to open my own store (wish I could say the same for my eyes right now).

And Coldwater Creek.  Such a fabulous store.  After I lost my mom, between CC, Chico's and J.Jill they helped rebuild my wardrobe into something from this century (that fit).  I was so bummed when they hit such bad turbulence but I am so glad to hear they are making their way back as I would believe there is a market for their style of clothing.

I hope you and DH are having a restful and healthy weekend . . . . Heart

Dear mtc,

Thank you for your kind wishes.  Yes, we did have a restful and healthy weekend.  We are taking some time off  this week.  It has been good to get some rest and relaxation.

I know that you and some of the other Kitchenettes are our Candle-Experts-In-Residence.  I am trying to find a a scent of candles and/or perfume that resmbles Crabtree & Evelyn's Jojoba fragrance that has been discontinued.  C & E described the scent as " a blend of golden jojoba oil and herbal and citrus fragrance."  That's not much to go on, but I thought you might have smelled the soap or other C & E items in the past.

@Writer with Flair 

I have no idea what this Crabtree and Evelyn scent smells like but my first thought or suggestion would be to point you to a candle company that I believe is located near where @RespectLife  lives.  The company is called Pure Integrity.  @RespectLife  could probably educate you on this company more than myself but I believe it is a Christain family owned small business.  I have tried a few of their candles and they are lovely.  If I posted a link, it would get poofed for posting a link to another business but you can just enter Pure Integrity candles in your search engine and you will be able to find their on line store.   Hopefully you will find what you are looking for there.

@Writer with Flair    @mustang66lady 

Everything mtc said is true!   Nice suggestion @mustang66lady 

They are local here to our area.  Do have their own website and will ship.

Are a Christian family business.

Their soy candles throw a wonderful scent and burn so cleanly.

I don't have a good nose to recommend a scent and am not familiar w/ any Crabby products, but I can vouch for the company and their lovely candles!

Thanks, Respect!  It must be nice to live so close to a store like that.  I like to support Christian businesses whenever possible.

We have a local candle company in my little town called Shining Sol.  They have wood wicks.  You have to trim it before every use so that it catches.  They are pricey but last a long time.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@mustang66lady wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Well, I was right.  I did have a stock of Aldi's flour!  Two unopened and 1 in the canister.  The UPC codes matched, although I was going to take it back anyways.

Lucked out.....not ONE person in line.  got $1.15 back for EACH bag (and the partially used canister flour) no problem.

Went to Weg to get flour.

Weg $1.49 entire shelf empty....Temp out sign...hmmm wonder if the same place in Buffalo makes THEIR flour!  No recall sign.

Pillsbury one bag left $2.79

Gold Medal one bag left $2.99

What is going on with the empty shelves of flour??  I know it ain't @momtochloe  baking cakes!!  tee hee

Of course, there was plenty of King Arthur varieties starting at $3.99 per bag!

Really made me appreciate Aldi's prices, but now I am leary to rebuy...

What do you ladies think??

Will/Would you buy their flour again?

@RespectLife 

Flour is one item I stay true to name brand.   I usually purchase Pillsbury or Gold Medal.  If one of them have an E. Coli contamination, I would probably purchase the other for awhile until I felt the factory was cleaned well and that no further outbreaks reported.  Anymore I'm not sure we can get around purchasing certain products forever as so many things are produced at one place but labelled for several different brands.   Every grocery store chain cannot possibly own their own flour mill, sugar factory, etc.  My question is, why are we seeing so much more contamination issues than we did growing up?   Even cereal has been recalled.  I finally started purchasing romaine lettuce again after I realized salad that we ate a restaurant, was made with it and we didn't get sick.   I just think sometimes we are just not as safe as we once was, in ALL aspects of our lives.    Would I purchase Aldi's flour again-yes I would if I had purchased it before.

I so agree, Mustang.  Today's world surely is a different place from the one from my childhood.  I miss it.

E Coli was only identified in food in 1982, so that's why we never heard about it back in the day:

E. coli O157:H7 was first recognized as a foodborne pathogen in 1982 during an investigation into an outbreak of hemorrhagic colitis associated with consumption of contaminated hamburgers (Riley, et al., 1983). The following year, Shiga toxin (Stx), produced by the then little-known E. coli O157:H7, was identified as the real culprit.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

Dear Kitchenettes,

My MIL had planned a trip to visit her brother during the week after Memorial Day.  A few days before she was to fly out to see him, she found out that he had died suddenly.   He was very fit and in excellent health, so this news was a shock to us all.  Please do keep all the family in your prayers. 

@Writer with Flair 

I'm so sorry my Friend! 

@Writer with Flair   I am keeping your family in my prayers.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

We did our bi-monthly Costco run tonight and saw lots of wonderful organic fruits and vegetables.

I also got a Carole Hochman three piece PJ sets (top, shorts, and short capris).  I had gotten a set when they had them on sale in the flier before last for $13.99 (originally $17.99).  Tonight,they were $12.97.  They are 100% cotten, wash well, and are so comfortable.  I highly recommend them.  I got the pink combination.  They also come in a navy and white or a blue and grey combo. You get one tee top that goes with a pair of shorts and a pair of capris.

pink 1

The shorts are pink and white stripes.

pink 5

I bought 2 sets of the pink.  I don't have any "real" Carole Hochman, so I have no idea how these compare to what she sells in stores or at the Q.  But these are very nice.  I was going to look online today to see if they have any more.  Love Costco's free shipping.  Keeps me from having to navigate that zoo.

I ordered 2 more sets.  They are no on sale online.  They are still $18 each, still a great bargain.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Happy Belated Birthday @RespectLife 

Birthday.jpg

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35  you will love the quality of Costco's version.  I have had sets I bought years ago and they wash and wear beautifully and are a steal for the money.  I also have had many sets of CH from QVC I bought on clearance and they are nice too but for the price difference I love Costco.