Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady

@momtochloe

About that Aldi frozen asparagus.........I buy those frozen steamer bags when I see them, and they CAN be quite good. Only  once  did I get some Aldi asparagus that was sort of tough.

With any frozen veggies that come in "steamer bags", I microwave them for about half the time they call for in the bags, then  open the bag and transfer the vegetable and all remaining liquid in the bag  to a small ceramic microwave-safe casserole dish and microwave for a tiny bit more time than recommended on the bag---along with some butter and salt in the dish.

I would not try to thaw out a frozen vegetable before cooking, when cheap little microwaves are for sale that can get the job done quicker-- and maybe even without some deterioration in quality of the food?  That's just me and my crazy opinion.

Meanwhile, I'll pick up a bag or two of frozen Aldi asparagus when it can be found in their freezer case.  It's not always there. 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 I hear you about the microwave doing a much better job on those steamer bags of veggies but I just don't have the room for one.  The air fryer and toaster oven won out on the space for appliances sweepstakes . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe

LOL..........I get the space dilemma when it comes to storing appliances.  That's why I don't own a big mixer anymore or an air fryer or an Instant Pot.  But the microwave.........oh my......I've had some break down a few times years ago, and it took me about 20 minutes to buy another one.

Egads.........how would I warm up leftovers, or  my coffee several times a day?  I'm hooked!!!

Been  considering buying a little bitty one to keep in another room or two.  (What's wrong with me?)  They don't necessarily have to stay in the kitchen, or so I'm telling myself.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 see this is when the stubborn mule in me comes out.  I just won't pay $50 for a teeny little microwave and I can't find one priced lower.  I've learned to work around one for so long now I honestly don't miss it.

Honored Contributor

Kitchenettes, I just made these potatoes that were on the Barefoot Contessa this weekend and they are easy and delicious if you are looking for a new way to prepare spuds:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emilys-roast-potatoes-1-5510873

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@momtochloe

LOL..........I get the space dilemma when it comes to storing appliances.  That's why I don't own a big mixer anymore or an air fryer or an Instant Pot.  But the microwave.........oh my......I've had some break down a few times years ago, and it took me about 20 minutes to buy another one.

Egads.........how would I warm up leftovers, or  my coffee several times a day?  I'm hooked!!!

Been  considering buying a little bitty one to keep in another room or two.  (What's wrong with me?)  They don't necessarily have to stay in the kitchen, or so I'm telling myself.

@novamc1

@momtochloe

Years ago I used to have a mini fridge & a coffee pot in my bedroom so all I had to do was roll over on Sunday morning for a cup of coffee or Saturday night for a cold beer.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, to be that spoiled again!

Honored Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@novamc1 see this is when the stubborn mule in me comes out.  I just won't pay $50 for a teeny little microwave and I can't find one priced lower.  I've learned to work around one for so long now I honestly don't miss it.

@momtochloe

@novamc1

WM has small ones for $ 38.00. My new-ish one is medium size - I think it was around $ 58.00. RED of course LOL!

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@mustang66lady

@momtochloe

About that Aldi frozen asparagus.........I buy those frozen steamer bags when I see them, and they CAN be quite good. Only  once  did I get some Aldi asparagus that was sort of tough.

With any frozen veggies that come in "steamer bags", I microwave them for about half the time they call for in the bags, then  open the bag and transfer the vegetable and all remaining liquid in the bag  to a small ceramic microwave-safe casserole dish and microwave for a tiny bit more time than recommended on the bag---along with some butter and salt in the dish.

I would not try to thaw out a frozen vegetable before cooking, when cheap little microwaves are for sale that can get the job done quicker-- and maybe even without some deterioration in quality of the food?  That's just me and my crazy opinion.

Meanwhile, I'll pick up a bag or two of frozen Aldi asparagus when it can be found in their freezer case.  It's not always there. 

@novamc1

I also buy the micro steamer veggies all the time too...and also cook way less than the bag states.

Wegman's has fantastic varieties!  Most are organic too.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@VaBelle35 congratulations on yet another job well done, your party sounded lovely and best of all, you had someone take some of the load off of you with those centerpieces (which were gorgeous.  I bet there were a few cat fights over who got to take them home).  Hey, what did you wear?

And I didn't know Origami made those bridge things, genius!  I wish I had another rack to hook together just because (and you have the most organized basement I have ever seen and I still love your flooring).

Enjoy your Sunday, hope you are taking some time to do something fun for yourself as a reward (kind of a hostess with the mostest gift if you will).  

@momtochloe  I was working so I just wore black dress pants and a black top.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @VaBelle35 for the info on the center pieces.  They are just so lovely.  

I am also in the ranks of no microwave - again because of the territory they take up.   We do have one of our DD's microwave ovens and have enjoyed using it but not to the point of buying one ourselves.   I want DH to take it back upstairs to store in her bedroom but so far, it is taking up valuable space in my kitchen.

@ChiliPepper

I must say, you absolutely must replace that refrig and coffeemaker asap!