Valued Contributor

Question for the recipe forum regulars

Hi, are most of the recipes posted  made from scratch or do they incorporate lots of processed or boxed foods? Just curious because I cook from scratch most of the time because I am sensitive to most of the additives.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for the recipe forum regulars

@blankette

There is a wide range of recipes posted on this board -- a little bit of something for and by all sorts of cooks.  Part of the fun here is finding a tip or recommendation you would not ordinarily try.  Keep with us, and I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that recipes submitted tend to run the gammut: from scratch to boxes/canned, to "dump" to a dukes mixture.

Since I'm a scratch cook, I tend to look for those recipes and, frankly, have enjoyed every one of that I've made. And believe me, I am an extremely picky person.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative

Hi, Sfnative.  I respect your judgement quite a lot, so would appreciate any recommendations for those good recipes you've found.  --Mrs. G. 

Respected Contributor

I do both, and most recipes are adaptable to change one way or the other.   

If I make spaghetti for us I use canned tomatoes.  If it's for my son I use fresh and no salt in anything.  Both are good.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sfnative

Hi, Sfnative.  I respect your judgement quite a lot, so would appreciate any recommendations for those good recipes you've found.  --Mrs. G. 

Oh, gosh, I guess I'm being asked to be really specific here and in doing so, I'm probably going to leave someone out, for which I apologize profusely.  And probably hurt feelings of others.  But, keep in mind that this has a direct bearing on my taste, style of cooking, the ingredients I prefer to use (I must cook gluten free) and the overall success of the dish or baked item.  So to answer your question, I always take a look at recipes submited by LoLa, DIanne and many by adoreqvc (I enjoy Greek food).  There are more and I'll certainly get back to you as nics surface.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sfnative

Oh, gosh, I guess I'm being asked to be really specific here and in doing so, I'm probably going to leave someone out, for which I apologize profusely.  And probably hurt feelings of others.  But, keep in mind that this has a direct bearing on my taste, style of cooking, the ingredients I prefer to use (I must cook gluten free) and the overall success of the dish or baked item.  So to answer your question, I always take a look at recipes submited by LoLa, DIanne and many by adoreqvc (I enjoy Greek food).  There are more and I'll certainly get back to you as nics surface.

@sfnative

Thank you for your reply -- I did not mean to put you on the spot.  I smiled as I read, "...I always take a look at recipes submited by LoLa, DIanne and many by adoreqvc (I enjoy Greek food)," as those are some of the same names I'll click onto first.  It's funny how you catch onto those with the same cooking/eating style as your own.  One poster I have been missing a lot lately is Beebee2.  She had been favorite poster for a long time.   

O/T, but I read on another thread that your Move Day is looming large now.  I sincerely hope for as smooth a transition for you as we had with ours.  (We even had a rainbow to drive under as we approached our new-to-us new home.  Woman Happy)

Frequent Contributor

I have found that by looking at the recipe posted that I am able to tell if it has processed food items in it or not. There is quite a mix of recipes and there are no rules. You just need to look at the recipes

Trusted Contributor

Pretty much everyone who has responded has been registered longer than I have, but I have enjoyed the "company" of the many generous, helpful, and interested cooks who share here.  I don't always follow the recipes exactly as posted, but I always come away with some new ideas and inspiration based on what others are cooking (or talking about  cooking!). 

I might add that one of the posters I always like hearing from is IamMrsG

Honored Contributor

I do both scratch and from a box.  If I use I box I add to and Dr. it quite a bit.

I only made one cake from scratch back during my first year of marriage for our first dinner party.  My beef stroganoff was wonderful but I never even bothered to frost the cake just threw it straight out. 

Maybe I should try again that was 1982. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."