Regular Contributor

I had the best gingerbread man the other day that had a chocolate coating on it.  The flavor combination was wonderful!  Would that have been chocolate chips melted with a tsp of oil or an icing with powdered sugar.?  It was a soft coating of chocolate..

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about gingerbread

If it was soft I would guess it was icing with powdered sugar.  A local chocolate company here in the PNW is selling a gingerbread chocolate bar this holiday season.  I may have to indulge because I am curious how that would taste.  

Trusted Contributor

@2penny

I agree with @DiAnne -- the bars I made a couple of Christmases ago had a frosting made with morsels.  It didn't stay soft after cooling and I didn't like the texture.  I've had versions of that "Saltine Toffee" topped with a melted Hershey bar -- that might be an easy shortcut to try for your gingerbread, too.  I love gingerbread, but I've never thought of it with chocolate.  Sounds good!

Regular Contributor

Someone suggested I do a ganache (1 c dark choc. chips & 1/2 c cream)  & it was perfect.  It doesn't get hard & is not sticky but does take a couple hours to set.

Trusted Contributor

@2penny   Thanks for reporting back.  My neighbor just brought me some homemade soft gingerbread cookies.  I may make a small batch of your ganache just to try the intriguing taste of chocolate and gingerbread.  YUM!

Honored Contributor

wouldn't appeal to me. 

One good choc I just discovered is Bakers microwave cup choc

Honored Contributor

Sounds yummy!