Honored Contributor

I am thinking of taking stuffing balls and cranberry sauce to our class potluck. It will be sometime this month

The recipes are both from Mary Berry. The stuffing balls are made with sausage and other stuff. Do you think it is too flimsy of a dish to pass, should I make something more substantial?

Respected Contributor

@cherry I was always one that overthought and cooked more than enough for a potluck.  Sounds like what you are bringing is delicious and will probably not be a duplicate dish.  As long as all the bases are covered by the group in terms of "soup to nuts" you are probably fine.

Haven't participated in a potluck in quite a while.  Enjoy your event. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on how many there's going to be there. If there's alot of people and plenty of food it sounds delicious. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Potluck dish

[ Edited ]

@cherry 

I've never had these but they sound delicious, I don't think they're too 'flimsy' for a potluck at all, since there will be other dishes too.

I'd love the recipe when you have time to share!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Mary Berry's Christmas stuffing

4 ratings

Mary Berry's Christmas stuffing

These traditional stuffing balls provide the perfect accompaniment to roast poultry – especially at Christmas.

Ingredients
Method
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry gently for 8-10 minutes, or until softened.

2. Stir in the remaining stuffing ingredients, except for the vegetable oil, until well combined. Season to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

3. Using wet hands, shape the sausage meat mixture into 16 equally-sized balls. Place on a lightly greased baking tray, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.

5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the stuffing balls and fry for 4–5 minutes, turning once, until golden on both sides.

6. Return the fried stuffing balls to the baking tray (or, if there is room, place them in the same roasting tray as the turkey or chicken). Bake the stuffing balls for 20–25 minutes, or until cooked through. If they brown too quickly during cooking, cover with kitchen foil.

7. Serve with roast turkey, roast chicken, or other roast meat.

Respected Contributor

Flimsy?  Not substantial enough?  Certainly not.  Other people are going to bring a bag of chips and call it a day, so compare accordingly.  Man Wink

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor
Mary Berry's cranberry sauce

8 ratings

Mary Berry's cranberry sauce

Spoil yourself with this super-easy and quick homemade fresh cranberry sauce this Christmas. Mary Berry's version takes seconds to make.

Mary's easy version is raw but if you prefer a cooked sauce here is a great recipe.

Ingredients
Method
  1. Blend all of the cranberry sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

2. Either serve cold or gently heat through. Serve with roast turkey or leftover cold cuts.

Recipe Tips

This sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance and kept, covered, in the fridge, until needed.

Honored Contributor

@cherry 

Thank you so much! DH and I will love these!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@cherry @I think it sounds perfect.Its seasonal and something most people look forward to.I like that it is bite sized so a person could indulge and not break the calorie bank.

Honored Contributor

I make my niece's recipe for stuffing balls without meat.  I'm sure they would be tasty with meat added:

6 tbsp butter

2 stalks diced celery

2 chopped large onions

2 tbsp minced garlic

10-oz can chopped mushrooms

14-oz can creamed corn

12-oz can drained corn kernels

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 tbsp poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 tbsp dried parsley

3 lightly-beaten eggs

8 cups packed 1/2" bread cubes (I let a 1 lb loaf sit out for 2 days before making)

1/3 cup melted butter

Melt butter in big frypan.  Stir in onions and celery over medium-high heat until soft.  Stir in garlic for 2 minutes.  Stir in mushrooms, corns, broth, poultry seasoning, parsley, salt, and pepper.  Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.

Cool in big bowl for 1/2 hour.  Mix in eggs.  Mix in bread.

Place golf ball-sized balls (I use an ice cream scoop) in buttered 9x13" baking pan.  Drizzle melted butter over balls and loosely cover with foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.