Valued Contributor

Need a gluten free gravy recipe

Would appreciate any help.  Thanks so much 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a gluten free gravy recipe

Couldn't you use corn or rice flour in place of the wheat in your own gravy recipe.

Honored Contributor

I have been gluten free for over  35 years.  I just use corn starch instead of flour.  I don't have a recipeand make it by taste and sight.

i heat up pan drippings and add a little water.  Then I make mixture of corn starch and water and stir until smooth.  It will look like milk.

I add it to the pan with the drippings with salt and  pepper and bring to a boil.  If it is too thick, I add more water until it is the consistency I want.  You must cook gravy completely or it will not taste very good.

You can use any recipe that calls for flour, but you will use less cornstarch, for instance half as much is a good starting point.  If the recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons of flour, use 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch.

You can also buy gluten free gravy mix in the package made by McCormick and just add water.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much...

Honored Contributor

Bisto granules. They are made from potato starch

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend who eats gluten-free gave me this recipe for turkey gravy:

6 cups chicken broth

Turkey neck and giblets

1/3 cup turkey trimmings cut into small pieces

1 chopped onion

1 chopped carrot

1 chopped stalk of celery

2 peeled garlic cloves

1/2 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp salt

1/3 cup sauvignon blanc

4 tbsp butter

5 tbsp gluten-free flour

1/4 cup turkey drippings (skim off fat)

Simmer 2 cups broth, neck and giblets, and trimmings in saucepan until liquid evaporates and trimmings start to sizzle.  Cook 3 minutes longer.  Stir in onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper over medium-high heat until onion is softened.  Stir in wine and bring to simmer.  Stir in 4 more cups broth and bring to simmer over high heat.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour over medium-low heat.  Strain out solids over bowl.

Melt butter in saucepan.  Stir in flour and cook over medium-high heat until deep golden brown.  Whisk in strained liquid over low heat.  Simmer over medium-high heat until thickened.  Stir in defatted drippings.