Trusted Contributor

I'm trying to figure out what temperature and how long to roast Patatoes? I would like times and temps for roasting fries I cut or for chucks of Potatoes. I cut some kind of thin Fries and I cooked at 425 for 25 minutes well not long enough so I reset the timer for 20 minutes more and well that was too much. I'm hoping I get some better advice from you all here. I also read where you can boil on Stovetop or in Microwave for five minutes then roast. I think I'm over thinking this. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

It depends on how many you're making.  When I do oven-roasted potato chunks, I'll fill a sheet pan.  Before dumping them on the pan, I'll toss them in a little EVOO and seasoning du jour.  Once on the pan, put the pan in a preheated 400°/425° oven for about 40-45 mins.

I tried a new recipe the other day for Parmesan Baked Potato Halves.  They were super delish.  Wash about 6 small Idaho potatoes, but do not peel them.  Cut them in half.  In a 9 x 13 baking dish, pour in about a 1/4 cup or so of melted butter.  Generously sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the melted butter.  Sprinkle a little garlic powder over the Parmesan cheese.  Place the potato halves cut side down.  Bake in a preheated 400° oven for about 40-45 mins.  Let them cool for a good 5 mins.  Move to a serving platter, placing them cut side up.  Serve with sour cream or Ranch dressing.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Potato Recipes?

[ Edited ]

Thanks JeanLouiseFinch I really appreciate your quick response. I use small red Potatoes,New Potatoes or Russets and cut in small chunks. I usually make a lot since we all love our Potatoes. I don't over croud and I think I cut my Fries to thin. I just got that TSV Genius chopping system so may try making Fries with that. Your recipe sounds really good and I will try it. Thanks for sharing with me. I wonder if I should preheat the cookie sheet? I use Garlic Powder,Onion Powder, Pepper and Oil. I think I used too much oil last time by the way. Woman Surprised I probably should use a couple Tablespoons of Oil next time.

Trusted Contributor

I really hope get more ideas please.

Respected Contributor

My easy and personal favorites are:

I fry up some bacon and onion.  Then I add red already boiled potatoes and season them pepper and a little salt.  That's it.  If I make it as a meal, I add hot dogs or polish sausage I cut into bite sized piece.

My second favorite is to grate red boiled potatoes and fry them in EVOO, season them with your favorite seasonings.  I then add chopped spinach and sliced fresh garlic.  It's that good and that easy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

(formerly posted  recipies under name of novadc, until the webmaster messed up my registration and email and caused a change in nickname.)

Easy Layered Potatoes & Onions

Peel and thinly slice Yukon Gold potatoes.

(It helps prevent the potatoes from turning gray if you lightly brush each slice with a little olive oil before working on the other steps. You can also soak the slices in ice water to prevent graying if you can't finish the recipe right away).

Thinly slice a Vidalia sweet onion.

Arrange potato slices and onion slices  in layers on parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet or in a baking dish.

Lightly brush all with mixture of olive oil and a little melted butter.

Season with salt, pepper and whatever herb(s) you prefer.  Dill, parsley, basil or thyme are possibilities.

Bake at 425 degrees about 30-40 minutes or until edges of potatoes are browned and begin to get crisp.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

novamc, I just bought a beautiful bag of Yukons.  I am so making these tomorrow, thank you so much for this recipe.  It will be perfect for tomorrow!

ETA:  Welcome to the boards, glad to have you here!

Respected Contributor

thanks, mtc, but I'm not really that new to the forums.  Up until about 2 weeks ago, I posted a number of recipes and other things under the name  NOVADC.  Thanks to some weird arbitrary decision by the webmaster to wipe out my valid  email  address and instruct me to use an old email  address that hasn't existed for years, I had to create a new email address and nickname. 

If people think fewer posters are seen here today, it could be caused by  the odd doings of the webmaster.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for this!  That's why I went back and edited it to say hi because originally I thought you had been a long time poster . . . egad.

Well, glad to have you either way and those potatoes are on my plate tomorrow!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
10 minute Pan Roasted Lemon Potatoes with Dill

Serves: serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. baby red or yellow potatoes
  • 3 to 4 tbsp. butter
  • 1 lemon, juice of
  • 2 tsp fresh snipped dill
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

1. Place the whole potatoes in a shallow, microwave safe glass bowl in a single layer (you may need to do two batches if they don't all fit). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, making sure to the potatoes are not touching the plastic wrap.

2. Microwave on high for 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Be careful when removing from microwave, as the dish will be very hot. Uncover and slice each potato in half.

3. Meanwhile heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot toss in the potatoes, 3 tbsp of butter and ½ of the lemon juice, stir to coat the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and the dill. Let the potatoes caramelize in the pan, by stirring just twice per minute, until they are golden brown on all sides.

4. Add more butter and more lemon juice if desired. Enjoy!

The potatoes can also be flavored with your favorite spices!

Great breakfast potatoes or side dish just browned in oil or butter!  On the table in 10 minutes!