Honored Contributor

Re: Pot Roast in the Oven 1/14

@Nightowlz,The cut of beef?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I just made another batch of chicken noodle soup yesterday since it's so cold. Suppose to get down to 6° tonight with -1° with the wind chill.

Made pot roast in my Dutch Oven Thurs. it was so good.

I brown the roast with salt, pepper in olive oil, remove from pan, brown some onions in olive oil, place roast on top of onions add stock, organic potatoes & carrots, bay leaf & some red wine. Bring back up to simmer & place in oven at 275° until fall apart. Took 6 hrs for my 3 1/3 lb roast.

Remove the roast, potatoes, carrots etc from dutch oven.

Return dutch oven to stovetop to heat over medium heat 5-10 mins.

Melt 1/4 c butter, add 1/4 c flour to make roux, mix to thicken, add to liquid left in dutch oven, whisk well

Let simmer 5-10 mins to thicken gravy. YUM!!!

@Nightowlz,Yum!  Hope you don't mind that I copied this.  What cut of beef do you use please?  I can see a new obsession coming on!  I shal name it "Nightowl Supper"!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG I use a chuck roast. Enjoy!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Nightowlzwrote:

I just made another batch of chicken noodle soup yesterday since it's so cold. Suppose to get down to 6° tonight with -1° with the wind chill.

I brown the roast with salt, pepper in olive oil, remove from pan, brown some onions in olive oil, place roast on top of onions add stock, organic potatoes & carrots, bay leaf & some red wine. Bring back up to simmer & place in oven at 275° until fall apart. Took 6 hrs for my 3 1/3 lb roast.

Melt 1/4 c butter, add 1/4 c flour to make roux, mix to thicken, add to liquid left in dutch oven, whisk well

@Nightowlz,Yum!  Hope you don't mind that I copied this.  What cut of beef do you use please?  I can see a new obsession coming on!  I shal name it "Nightowl Supper"!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG 

I don't know how I came across this older post. I use chuck roast.

I'm going to make one next week.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Hope you like it.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Nightowlzwrote:

@ECBG 

I don't know how I came across this older post. I use chuck roast.

I'm going to make one next week.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Hope you like it.

I think I've mentioned before that I make mine very similar to yours, and it also turns out fork-tender.

One of the things that I've learned to do so as not to have to braise it first, is to turn the oven up to 425 degrees, and let it roast uncovered for half an hour at that temp. first.

It gives the roast a nice brown color, and will break down any toughness in the meat.

After roasting at 425 for half an hour, I then take the roast out of the oven so that I can cover it tightly with foil.

I then turn the oven back down to 325 degrees, and then finish roasting until done. I consider it done for me when I can pierce it all of the way through with a knife, and it's tender to the touch that way. 

I cooked a large beef arm roast for 5 hours like this just the other day, and it was fallling apart by the time that it was done.

It was very thick in one part, so I wanted to make sure that it would be tender by the time that it was done roasting.

I had roasted it in a large baking pan, and also roasted quartered red potatoes with it, along with mushrooms, quartered onions, baby carrots, and cut-up celery.

I put in a packet of beefy onion soup mix that I mixed with water and then poured over everything, where I added enough water for approx. 2 cups of liquid.

I also lightly seasoned everything with dried parsley, paprika, black pepper, and a light amount of seasoned salt, and added just a couple of shakes of Worcestershire sauce to cover everything, too.

Honored Contributor

That is how I make my pot roast....roasted one a few weeks ago, it was so good.....

Super Contributor

I only use bottom round for pot roast - don't like stringy meat like chuck roast... Bottom round comes out nice and tender and get lots of thin slices from a small roast - around 3 lb... Makes enough for two and leftovers for the freezer.

Super Contributor

I mix one packet of liptons onion soup mix with a large or 2 small cans of cream of mushroom soup (cambells) with some water to  thin it out... Put in a heavy oven roaster covered for three hours on 275.... It is out of this world and the house smells delicious...

Frequent Contributor

Hi Hondagirl,

I make mine the same way.  I use a boneless chuck roast and cook at 300 covered in one of those old enamel roasting pans. The last hour I add potatoes, carrots and onions.

Always delicious.   

Valued Contributor

Re: Pot Roasts /Roasts/or Corned Beefs in Reynold's Oven Bags.

[ Edited ]

I do boil my bottom round corned beefs  for 10 minutes and then simmer the corned beefs for 20 minnutes, and twice I change the water to ensure some of the nitrates and excess salt is removed. I always leave the butcher string attached and only remove before slicing.

Then I rinse the corned beef well, add 1/4 cup of flour into a large size Reynolds Oven Bag and shake the bag to coat it well, then add the sliced quartered baby red potatoes, baby carrots, and baby pearl onions, or cut slices of onions and open the rings and lay all the veggies in the floured bag first, then top them off with the corned beef and I also add the packet of peppercorns and seasinings tied with a cheesecloth bag so the bag keeps everything contained and only the flavors seep into the roasts. I also add 1 or 2 fresh bay leaves depending on the size of the roasts.

Tou can also place whatever meat you are roasting fat side up so it will drip down and baste the veggies underneath. add some slits into the Reynolds Oven bag so it will not burst, and oven roast corned beef trimmed of too much excess with the fat cap on top

I make my pot roast, other roasts, and corned beefs in a Reynold's Oven Bag placed in a large cassaerole 13X9 pan with quartered veggies (baby pearl onions or slivers of onions, sliced fresh mushrooms, quartered potatoes and baby carrots on meat roasts, and I season the meat roasts with greek seasoning which has all spices in it, or, I just add some dried parsley and dill, a few fresh bay leaves, and garlic powder.

I also add at least 1 cup of broth or water. Tie the bag closed with the included twist tie and oven roast it at 325 degrees for about 3 hours, and that is for a piece of meat with a 3 to 5 lb weight.

The meats always turn out moist, tender, and delicious every time.

P.S. My bototm round  corned beef roasts usually do not need any fat cap trimming of any kind, since the fat cap is usually already prepared by the butcher, and is very thin and tied with butchers string very securely to remain on during entire cooking process.

Remove the butcher string and slice to serve with the veggies and some broth, from the Reynolds Oven Bag.

Honored Contributor

My mom made outrageous pot roast in the oven. And then if there was any left, she turned it into hot beef/gravy  sandwiches the next day.