Esteemed Contributor

Re: Plant based meat product

@wagirl wrote:

I don't eat Morningstar Farms as I avoid soy products, but we are canivores but  like to eat meatless a few times a week. My family thought the chili  I made with this product was just as good as with real ground meat. Now would I make a meatloaf with it--no --but meatballs, and burgers would be worth trying.

@wagirl  I recently substituted firm tofu for ground turkey in my usual chili recipe- delish!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GemsNBeauty wrote:

@ScrapHappy @momtochloe ...Love Beyond Meat! We are trying to eat less meat and both hubby and I really enjoy a Beyond Meat burger. They are very substantial and great texture like an actual burger. These are the best plant based burgers we've found to date.  This company has also come out with sausages, and those are great as well!  I purchase ours at Target (fresh meat area) or Whole Foods in their frozen and non-frozen area. Hopefully your local stores will have it available for you to try Smiley Happy  

@GemsNBeauty @momtochloe  Beyond meat items are terrific- the few I've tried anyway. Zinburger has Beyond Burger on their menu -  it's nice to be able to go out  with family & friends and not feel so restrictive with the menu.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

As a reminder to those who are vegan:

Most Morningstar products will have eggs and/or milk

so yes, they are vegetarian...but not vegan. 

@sidsmom  this is a recent favorite find- delish with breakfast!

Morningstar sausage ingredients

Ingredients. Water, wheat gluten, soy flour, soy protein concentrate, corn oil. Contains 2% or less of yeast extract, spices, salt, cooked onion and carrot juice concentrate, dextrose, natural flavors, sugar, paprika (color), garlic powder, glutamic acid, whey, onion powder, nonfat milk, egg whites, xanthan gum

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

As a reminder to those who are vegan:

Most Morningstar products will have eggs and/or milk

so yes, they are vegetarian...but not vegan. 

@sidsmom  this is a recent favorite find- delish with breakfast!

Morningstar sausage ingredients

Ingredients. Water, wheat gluten, soy flour, soy protein concentrate, corn oil. Contains 2% or less of yeast extract, spices, salt, cooked onion and carrot juice concentrate, dextrose, natural flavors, sugar, paprika (color), garlic powder, glutamic acid, whey, onion powder, nonfat milk, egg whites, xanthan gum

@Ibby114 

Good you are able to find something you can enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114---don't eat tofu as it is soy---but have eaten it in things and yes, can be delish.

Trusted Contributor

I’ve been a vegan for 23 years and lactovegetarian 3 additional years before that.

before beyond meat, the vegan meat substitutes were dismal and I opted for grilled or fried tofu.  Beyond Meat is delicious.  It comes in burgers and sausages and I can recreate recipes from when I was young.  Of course, I eat it in moderation, but it is good for the environment, healthier than meat and works well in recipes. Still love my tofu, but this is a welcome addition to the meatless diet.