Honored Contributor

Been curious about this stuff so I bought some to try. It's called LightLife. Soy/gluten free, no gmos, low carb, sodium is not awful, no artificial flavors. Looks like ground meat. So I made a chili with it and its pretty good. Next time I think i will season it up more. cooks like meat only no fat/juices. I added a little olive oil. Not bad. Was on sale for $3.99 a pound too. It comes in a 12 oz pak.

Respected Contributor

Re: Plant based meat product

Some may not like them but I have been eating Morning Star Farms products for years. I really like the breakfast patties as an alternative to sausages. This is my favorite burger and I will add a little seasoning when cooking. 

Valued Contributor

When I was a young vegetarian hippie it was called Textured Vegtable Protien TVP. It was good in chili and spa sauce.

Respected Contributor

I recently saw a segment about plant based foods (meat) on the news.  It was for a specific brand called Beyond Meat.  I am tempted to give it a try.

Honored Contributor

As a reminder to those who are vegan:

Most Morningstar products will have eggs and/or milk

so yes, they are vegetarian...but not vegan. 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I recently saw a segment about plant based foods (meat) on the news.  It was for a specific brand called Beyond Meat.  I am tempted to give it a try.

@ScrapHappy  I agree, I would love to try this product but even though stores around here advertise it I can never find it so hopefully they'll start getting more in.

Frequent Contributor

@ScrapHappy @momtochloe ...Love Beyond Meat! We are trying to eat less meat and both hubby and I really enjoy a Beyond Meat burger. They are very substantial and great texture like an actual burger. These are the best plant based burgers we've found to date.  This company has also come out with sausages, and those are great as well!  I purchase ours at Target (fresh meat area) or Whole Foods in their frozen and non-frozen area. Hopefully your local stores will have it available for you to try Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@GemsNBeauty wrote:

@ScrapHappy @momtochloe ...Love Beyond Meat! We are trying to eat less meat and both hubby and I really enjoy a Beyond Meat burger. They are very substantial and great texture like an actual burger. These are the best plant based burgers we've found to date.  This company has also come out with sausages, and those are great as well!  I purchase ours at Target (fresh meat area) or Whole Foods in their frozen and non-frozen area. Hopefully your local stores will have it available for you to try Smiley Happy  

@GemsNBeauty  well how fabulous are you?  Goodness I so hope the supply chain smiles on our stores and gets their products in asap!

Thank you again for your post as I so appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

i don't eat a burger and  don't see the need to eat something made to look like one, 

you are not eating the burger, don't want to eat the meat so why eat something faked like it.

Whole Foods has some faked sausages, etc,  

Honored Contributor

I don't eat Morningstar Farms as I avoid soy products, but we are canivores but  like to eat meatless a few times a week. My family thought the chili  I made with this product was just as good as with real ground meat. Now would I make a meatloaf with it--no --but meatballs, and burgers would be worth trying.