Honored Contributor

This is just for ideas on what we could take. If you don't do these, you can pass this post by. 

Looking only for dishes to pass at a get-together. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Picnic time to take a dish.

Giada's "Rolotini and Salsa di Limone" ...fancy way of saying Pasta salad with tomatoes and lemon...sorry I don't know how to link from a tablet. Totally refreshing EASY  summer picnic friendly dish. Big hit when I made it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I meant to add that this is a very versatile recipe. Add herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, switch cheeses to whatever crumbly cheese you like etc. Easy to double it to match picnic size etc. Super easy.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to a community picnic last week. I had forgotten all about it until the last minute. There was no time to be creative so I had to deal with what was in the fridge. Fortunately I had a loaf of multigrain bread, cold cuts, cheese, and lettuce and tomato. I made a dozen different sandwiches, sliced each in half diagonally, and placed them on a pretty plate. They were grabbed up in seconds, I think the reason was that everyone knew what they were getting and, more importantly, sandwiches are portable, easy to eat standing up, walking around, etc. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make something called Cowboy Salsa which is a can of black beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas and shoepeg corn (all drained).  Then make a sauce of one-quarter cup of each; cider vinegar, brown sugar, olive oil and vegetable oil. Heat sauce to boiling, cool it and pour over the beans.  I like to add chopped celery, red pepper, green pepper and red onion to the mix.  It is great with corn chips and won't go bad in the heat.

Honored Contributor

Finger sandwiches

Honored Contributor

When I go to an annual crab feast, I always take a very large container of fresh fruit.  I usually use one of those aluminum roasting pans.  This year, I prepared 11 different fruits.  There's never a drop left at the end of the event.

Honored Contributor

If I am not specifically asked to bring a certain item (usually my macaroni salad) I love to cut up a large platter of fresh fruit.   If it is a smaller group I put in a trifle bowl.  It is an attractive addition to the table.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I meant to add that this is a very versatile recipe. Add herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, switch cheeses to whatever crumbly cheese you like etc. Easy to double it to match picnic size etc. Super easy.

Thanks for posting this @LizzieInSRQ.  For those that are interested, here is the link to the recipe (lots of great reviews/ideas too):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/rotini-with-salsa-di-limone-recipe-1947788

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Corn Salad is perfect for a cookout or barbeque.  And a snap to prepare!!

Ingredients:

• 2 (15 oz) cans whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, package works great too...
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (or to your degree of 'wetness')
  • 1 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
  • Optional-- 1 -2 can(s) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (10 1/2 oz) bag coarsely crushed Frito

Directions: Mix first 5/6 ingredients and chill. Crumbled bacon is also good in this.  Stir in corn chips just before serving.