Esteemed Contributor

Anybody have a sure-fire winner pecan pie recipe?

I have never made it before, and would like a recipe that everyone will love.

Thanks in advance!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Should be on the back of a Karo Syrup bottle. White or dark-don't remember which.

Super Contributor

The recipe on the Light Karo Syrup bottle is the best!

Honored Contributor

I have been using this Pecan Pie recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook I received when I got married in 1976. It always turns out. I don't care for the recipes using brown sugar.

3 eggs

2/3 c sugar

1/2 t salt

1/3 c butter

1 c light Karo

1 c pecan halves

Heat oven to 375° Prepare 9" pastry.

Beat eggs, sugar, salt, butter & Karo with rotary beater. I use my Kitchenaid mixer. Stir in pecans. Pour in pie shell.

Bake 40-50 mins or until filling is set.

You can also add 1 t vanilla which I do unless I forget.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

My go to recipe for pecan pie is the Karo syrup bottle as well.  I have tried others but always come back to this one.  It is on both the dark and light syrup bottles but I usually use a mix of both-1/2 and 1/2.   

Will tell you in a pinch, SAM's makes a pretty good pecan pie as well.  I was not fond of their pumpkin but that pecan got good ratings.  My DM died just before Thanksgiving 5 years ago and I had a crowd for Thanksgiving.  I didn't have time to bake so SAM's to the rescue.

Respected Contributor

For years @Anonymous032819  I have used the recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle. It is really simple and I use Pet deep dish pie shells and real butter and the pies are delicious.

I also have the pleasure of buying my pecans from the actual Mascot pecan company but have used pecans purchased from Sam's in the past. I only sample but my husband and my brothers drop hints every year that the pies were their favorite holiday gifts!

Honored Contributor

This is my mother's recipe:

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

2 room-temperature eggs

1 tbsp flour

1 tbsp milk

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/ 2 cups chopped pecans

Unbaked 9" pie shell

Beat eggs with electric mixer in big bowl until foamy.  Stir in butter.  Beat in sugars and flour.  Stir in milk, vanilla, and 1 cup nuts.

Pour mixture into pie shell.  Sprinkle rest of nuts on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Reduce oven to 300 degrees and bake for 45 minutes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pecan Pie Recipe?

[ Edited ]

Personally, I was never a pecan pie maker.  That being said, one of my friends who has baked quite a bit and made good pecan pie, told me that the ones with brown sugar "come together" or set up (have less liquid) best.

@house_cat bakes quite often.  I bet she would have some insight.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

If you don't care for the sweet Karo syrup pie, here is an alternative.  Delicious!

WHITE PECAN PIE

Filling: 

2 Eggs                                     

1 C Sugar                                

1 t Flour                                   

1 C Sour Cream                      

¼ t Lemon juice                     

Brush pie crust with egg white.  Pour in Filling and top with pecans.

Bake at 350° 40-50 minutes.  Let stand before serving.

Surprisingly delicious!

Honored Contributor

Re: Pecan Pie Recipe?

[ Edited ]

I always use the recipe on the Karo dark corn syrup bottle...with the blue label. I put my pecans into the pie shell, then put all other ingredients into the blender and pulse blend until smooth...pour it over the pecans. Have never had a failed result. Easier to cut if you break up the pecans rather than using halves.