Honored Contributor

I'm not much of a baker, but I was wondering exactly what is parchment paper? I couldn't find it in the supermarket, could you use foil or wax paper instead? Is it true you can't use wax paper in the oven because the coating on the paper will melt? Also what exactly is a Silpat, am I better off with that, where do you buy it?TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Parchment Paper

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2

Parchment paper should be available at your suermarket - Reynolds makes it 

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 1.49.20 PM.png

Or Wilton's Parchment paper availab le at Michaels or Bed Bath Beyond

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 1.50.36 PM.png

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you line a baking sheet with parchment paper - everything slides off even the thinnest cookie without breaking.

Silpat is a french brand - nonstick silicone baking mat. I use to use it - wash it roll it up and store it. Much easier to use th parchment paper and it is a bit pricy so I. but it from Costo which lasts forever

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 1.55.42 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, I get my parchment paper from King Arthur.  They sell it in all sizes and shapes.  I find it very helpful for baking and much better than parchment that is purchased in the grocery or big box stores.  I do use the grocery box of parchment for regular baking like dinner rolls and things like that; but, for cakes and cookies, especially springform pans, I find the parchment sheets to work very well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  If you want to buy parchment at your grocery store, it should be

in the aluminum foil section.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2

When using a recipe which calls for the use of parchment paper, it must be used.  Wax paper and foil are not alternatives.

Parchment paper is used in baking and roasting in order to create a barrier between the batter, dough, meat (chicken) or, for example, a Beef Wellington, and the pan or vessel in which it is to bake or roast.  In baking, the sides and bottom will be lightly greased, so that the parchment will cling.  If one doesn't lightly grease, you'll find a need for 3 hands, when adding batter and dough.  It's much easier to place parchment on a sheet without greasing; however, I usually hit the center and 4 corners with Crisco, just to keep the parchment from curling.

I don't know if you're familiar with "onion skin" writing paper, which was popular for so many years, but parchment paper is kind of similar to that.  I'm surprised your market did not carry it.  However, the long, skinny box it comes in rather looks like a foil box, so you might return and look again.  The parchment box will be longer.

Pull out a length of parchment paper, place your pan on top of it, using a pencil, place the tip down on the paper where the pan sits on it and carefully draw a line all around your pan.  With scissors or shears, cut out your parchment paper just inside the line you just drew.

I purchase pre-cut 8" and 9" cake rounds.  When I make brownies, I cut the parchment so that it covers the bottom and goes up the sides.  In doing this, the bottom is covered twice.  Why?  Because my recipe provides a very moist brownie and I don't want to score the bottom of my pan.

I also use parchment when making chicken and herb pan dinners, which equate to a cut up chicken, herbs, lemon slices and other good stuff.  And, the list goes on.

Parchment paper is also invaluable for cookie baking during the holidays.  Really allows the baker to opt away from greasing pans, cleaning them off, re-greasing, cleaning off, and on and on and on.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I was in Key Food today, they didn't have it, I am planning a trip to Walmart, I'll look there.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Jordan2, I get my parchment paper from King Arthur.  They sell it in all sizes and shapes.  I find it very helpful for baking and much better than parchment that is purchased in the grocery or big box stores.  I do use the grocery box of parchment for regular baking like dinner rolls and things like that; but, for cakes and cookies, especially springform pans, I find the parchment sheets to work very well.

Another one here who makes sure to buy my pre-sized parchment sheets from King Arthur when they put it on sale.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Jordan2

When using a recipe which calls for the use of parchment paper, it must be used.  Wax paper and foil are not alternatives.

I don't know if you're familiar with "onion skin" writing paper, which was popular for so many years, but parchment paper is kind of similar to that.  I'm surprised your market did not carry it.  However, the long, skinny box it comes in rather looks like a foil box, so you might return and look again.  The parchment box will be longer.

Pull out a length of parchment paper, place your pan on top of it, using a pencil, place the tip down on the paper where the pan sits on it and carefully draw a line all around your pan.  With scissors or shears, cut out your parchment paper just inside the line you just drew.

I purchase pre-cut 8" and 9" cake rounds.  When I make brownies, I cut the parchment so that it covers the bottom and goes up the sides.  In doing this, the bottom is covered twice.  Why?  Because my recipe provides a very moist brownie and I don't want to score the bottom of my pan.

I also use parchment when making chicken and herb pan dinners, which equate to a cut up chicken, herbs, lemon slices and other good stuff.  And, the list goes on.

Parchment paper is also invaluable for cookie baking during the holidays.  Really allows the baker to opt away from greasing pans, cleaning them off, re-greasing, cleaning off, and on and on and on.

@sfnative, thank you so much for the tips. I'm going to look again in the supermarket or I may go to Walmart. I actually bought wax paper, I don't know what to do with it!

Valued Contributor

I use waxed paper a lot.........I grate cheese on it or other items and then slide them off the paper into a pot when cooking.  

I like to use it when breading especially..... flour mixture at one end, bread crumbs a the other with the bowl of beaten eggs nearby....cleanup is a breeze.