Honored Contributor

Hobo Bread

Notes: This recipe has been around a very long time (pioneer days). You can add spices, nuts, fruits or whatever you like. You can also make a powder sugar glaze or leave it plain like I did. Serve it with coffee, tea, or milk.

1 c raisins
1 c boiling water
2 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBSP melted butter
1/2 c broken pecans or walnuts

Soak raisins in boiling water for one hour. Do not pour off extra water.

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda in a large bowl. Pour in soaked raisins with extra water, vanilla extract and butter. Mix with a spoon. Fold in nuts.

Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray. Spread dough in pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until center tests done.

Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.

38801565_10218127776329533_9037856898803564544_n.jpg

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Yummy!  Looks so delish!  Am going to bake this bread for one of our monthly women's church gatherings.  Thanks for sharing.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I made this with my grandma. If memory serves it was delish. Thank you for the memories and the recipe. ❤️

Honored Contributor

That looks really good.

It's on my bucket list to do some baking this winter.   I'm such a horrible home cook.

I'm waiting until winter for 2 reasons.   I won't be gardening and the humidity will be reasonable.  (I'm awful at gardening, too)

I love Rosemary Olive Oil bread, I have Martha Stewart's focaccia recipe.

She makes it look easy, we'll see.

Congratulations.  I can almost smell it!

@CherryHugs

Respected Contributor

Yummy - this sounds to delicious.  As soon as the weather gets cooler, I will definitely be trying it out.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

For a different shape  bake in washed out,clean soup cans for a round shape. Great with a  cream spread.

Respected Contributor

My Grandma served this in slices spread with cream cheese. Oh my goodness, I made this so many years back...Thank you for reminding us! I will have to make it again ...it is really delish. 😋

Respected Contributor

@cherry hugs Looks so good, I definetly will make this tomorrow, have to soak the raisins. Thanks for the recipe, I love making bread of any kind.I have a bread maker, but still like to make it by hand. Today I am making the bananna recipe that was on here made with the cake mix. I have also used this with zuchinni. Love that people share their recipes.

Respected Contributor

Could the raisins be replaced with another dry fruit or be left out altogether? I dont like raisins but the bread sounds good.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknowI don't see why you couldn't use dried cranberries or blueberries. I think the bread would be fairly bland without the dried fruit.