Esteemed Contributor

Over-run with beets. Recipes, anyone?

Bumper crop. Orange, yellow, blood red, Chigga striped. You name it, I've got 50 of each, at least. Will be giving much away but since I love this vegetable interested in any great recipes. I've mostly been roasting them or using for juice.

Ideas? Has anyone ever picked them and put them up for winter?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Re: Over-run with beets. Recipes, anyone?

I don't have a recipe but I like to roast them and then cut into match-stick pieces.  Add thinly sliced red onion and red, yellow or orange bell pepper.  Toss with a vinaigrette dressing and serve cold. 

Honored Contributor

We raise the traditional red globe beet. I pickle and can the smaller beets and freeze the larger ones. I wash and trim the beet tops leaving 2 inches to prevent color bleeding during the cooking process. Cook the beets in water in a large stock pot until nearly done. Drain, cool, then slip off the skins and slice to desired thickness. Pack the beets in a freezer bag and seal. I use frozen beets steamed and seasoned with butter, salt and pepper or make the sauce for Harvard beets. This is the only way my family will eat beets, but we eat a lot of them.
Esteemed Contributor

Though never overly fond of beets, I've got a winner of a beet & carrot salad that I just love and have successfully served to guests.  My cuisinart makes it easy to shred the raw beets and carrots.  Hope you give this one a go.

Grated Carrot & Raw Beet Salad

Source: food.com

4 large carrots, peeled & trimmed

3 beats, peeled and trimmed

2 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1 tsp garlic paste

1 Tbs olive oil

1 Tbs balsamic vinegar (I prefer light to dark balsamic)

1 tsp strong Dijon mustard

Tobasco sauce or chili pepper flakes to taste

Smoked or regular sea salt

Fresh ground pepper

Optional: Orange for additional acidity & lettuce leaves for lining dish.  Throw in diced appled right before serving for an additional texture.

1. Grate carrots and beets using grater with large holes or grate using a processor.
  2. Place the rest of the main ingredients, from garlic to black pepper, in a large bowl. Add carrots, beets and toss until well combined.
  3. Add any desired add-ins and toss again.
  4. Taste, adjust seasoning and let stand for 30 minutes. **I prefer making this a day ahead so that flavors fully develop; otherwise, you can taste each ingredient as if it was just tossed in.
  5. Just prior to serving, if you wish some additional acidity, squeeze half an orange over the salad, then toss and place in 2 quart dish. I like to use this dish for the salad, because I can line the dish with my favorite lettuce, then added the carrot and beet mixture.
Esteemed Contributor

Recipes for beets???  

Esteemed Contributor

When I can get organic beets I put 1 raw in my NutriBlast.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
We raise the traditional red globe beet. I pickle and can the smaller beets and freeze the larger ones. I wash and trim the beet tops leaving 2 inches to prevent color bleeding during the cooking process. Cook the beets in water in a large stock pot until nearly done. Drain, cool, then slip off the skins and slice to desired thickness. Pack the beets in a freezer bag and seal. I use frozen beets steamed and seasoned with butter, salt and pepper or make the sauce for Harvard beets. This is the only way my family will eat beets, but we eat a lot of them.

So easy. will do this

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

I love pickled beets.  They are very easy to make.

Cook the beets until they are tender.  Slip off the skins, cut them into pieces that fit in a pint bottle.  Add 1/2 tea salt to each bottle.

The liquid part is:

1/2 cup beet juice saved from boiling the beets

1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

2 cups sugar

Heat to boiling

Pour over beets, seal, and cold pack for 30 minutes

This is usually enough liquid for 6 pints

I gets the beets from a farmer and they usually have dirt on them.  So I lay them out on the grass and clean them with a power hose attachment.  Then I put them in the sink to clean them again before I boil them.

Super Contributor

I grew up on this ... no recipe ... just do it ...

Boil and peel beets .. boil and peel potatoes ... hard boil eggs ... (same amount of each) ...

cut all into wedges ...toss with oil, salt, pepper, and some chopped onion ...

Chill and serve ...

And just recently at our local Giant Eagle, the prepared foods department had a salad made with cubed beets, feta cheese, and fresh spinach tossed with just oil ... I have bought it twice ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Respected Contributor

Will my address do?  Smiley Happy

I love beets.  Just pickled or cooked with butter.   Juice with carrots and apples is good as well.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*