Respected Contributor

Sugar Free Baked Beans

[ Edited ]

I hesitated sharing this version of baked beans because I did not want to look like I was usurping AnikaBrodie’s post. However the Fourth is just around the corner, and then House_Cat brought the subject up again in the Kitchen forum, so I decided to contribute this to the conversation.

This version was originally found on a webiste about sugar-free dieting. I have since deviated from the diet Woman Frustrated, and have also altered the second half of the recipe for the beans by using regular pancake syrup. Sugar free pancake syrup is about as tasty as fat free mayonnaise, in my book.

Anyway, here is the recipe. Since Day 1 this has been our standard, and has always been a hit when offered to friends.

Cola Baked Bean Sauce

20 ounces diet cola  (I use Coke)
6 ounces tomato paste
1/4 cup soy or Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
liquid smoke to taste  (I use one capful)
red pepper flakes to taste
black pepper to taste
½ teaspoon garlic salt

Mix all in a sauce pan and simmer over medium-low heat until thickened (a good hour). Store in refrigerator or move on to the next step.

Baked Beans
32 ounces canned or jarred Great Northern beans, drained but not rinsed
1 onion, chopped
4 slices bacon, crumbled
2 ½ to 3 cups Cola Baked Bean Sauce (I don't measure, use all of it)
1/3 cup sugar free pancake syrup

Fry bacon, crumble and set aside on paper towels to drain. Sauté onion until soft in the bacon drippings. Add drained beans, Cola Baked Bean sauce, pancake syrup . If you are using wurst or dogs, this is the time to add them.

Bake at 350º at least 30 minutes. Top beans with crispy bacon and serve.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

MrsG I am not AnikaBrodie or HouseCat, but I can't imagine any of the recipe posters would feel you usurped anything.

IMO, variations are what makes cooking interesting, especially those that insure everyone can enjoy the dish.

Guess I'll add, JMO, just in case I'm wrong.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

@betteb wrote:

MrsG I am not AnikaBrodie or HouseCat, but I can't imagine any of the recipe posters would feel you usurped anything.

IMO, variations are what makes cooking interesting, especially those that insure everyone can enjoy the dish.

Guess I'll add, JMO, just in case I'm wrong.

I completely agree betteb!  I think everyone loves hearing other people's recipes, especially since this one is sugar free which is helpful for our diabetic friends or those that have family that they need to cook for.

Regular Contributor
Thank you for posting this, MrsG. I am always on the look out for sugar free recipes!
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the recipe.  I so love the Sugar Free Maple Syrup I found at Walmart.  I even use it to make a healthier cheesecake instead of sweetened cond. milk.  Love baked beans and it is that time of year dogs and beans!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor
This recipe is delicious. It has replaced our old favorite. Thanks for sharing!
Respected Contributor

@2zbeach Re: Sugar Free Baked Beans

You're welcome!  And, thanks for coming back to let me know you liked the recipe.  I'm always happy to share recipes, but it's gratifying to hear when someone got enjoyment from one. 

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I hesitated sharing this version of baked beans because I did not want to look like I was usurping AnikaBrodie’s post. However the Fourth is just around the corner, and then House_Cat brought the subject up again in the Kitchen forum, so I decided to contribute this to the conversation.

This version was originally found on a webiste about sugar-free dieting. I have since deviated from the diet Woman Frustrated, and have also altered the second half of the recipe for the beans by using regular pancake syrup. Sugar free pancake syrup is about as tasty as fat free mayonnaise, in my book.

Anyway, here is the recipe. Since Day 1 this has been our standard, and has always been a hit when offered to friends.

Cola Baked Bean Sauce

20 ounces diet cola  (I use Coke)
6 ounces tomato paste
1/4 cup soy or Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
liquid smoke to taste  (I use one capful)
red pepper flakes to taste
black pepper to taste
½ teaspoon garlic salt

Mix all in a sauce pan and simmer over medium-low heat until thickened (a good hour). Store in refrigerator or move on to the next step.

Baked Beans
32 ounces canned or jarred Great Northern beans, drained but not rinsed
1 onion, chopped
4 slices bacon, crumbled
2 ½ to 3 cups Cola Baked Bean Sauce (I don't measure, use all of it)
1/3 cup sugar free pancake syrup

Fry bacon, crumble and set aside on paper towels to drain. Sauté onion until soft in the bacon drippings. Add drained beans, Cola Baked Bean sauce, pancake syrup . If you are using wurst or dogs, this is the time to add them.

Bake at 350º at least 30 minutes. Top beans with crispy bacon and serve.

IamMrsG, could I "sub" another bean instead of northeren beans? Not a fan of those,,,pork & beans work? TIA

Respected Contributor

@ gkelly5744 Re: Sugar Free Baked Beans

If you mean pork & beans as in the Campbell's type, I'd say no.  Do you like pinto beans?   If so, that's what I would substitute.

Valued Contributor

Re: @ gkelly5744 Re: Sugar Free Baked Beans

@IamMrsG wrote:

If you mean pork & beans as in the Campbell's type, I'd say no.  Do you like pinto beans?   If so, that's what I would substitute.

I"ll give the northern beans a try...thanks for the reply