Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@sfnative

I had no idea you were a sufferer, as well.  I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you still live in California?  I like the new doctor I'm seeing at Cedars-Sinai in LA, but he's a doctor, not a miracle worker.  In the meantime I'll keep hoping for a miracle.  It is encouraging to know that there are new meds in the works.

@house_cat

No, we don't live in CA any longer.  A few years ago, when my daught became pregnant, we decided that the perfect time to retire and so moved to Portland to be near them and take an active part in our granddaughter's life.  The medical community here is frankly just not good.  Admittedly, many docs come here because they love the Pacific Northwest and easy access to winter sports on Mt. Hood, which is a fast 45 minute drive.  This doesn't necessarily equite to excellence in medicine, however, just a lot of C grade practitioners.

I went to a pain doc to get an injection into a trigger point, left of center at the base of my skull, which is a component of my migraines.  He had the audacity to tell me I was wrong and that I needed an injection into the nerve complex about 2 " higher up on my skull.  I told him to go ahead with it, but it wasn't going to do any good, which it didnt.  The worst part,  though, was that this was done in a hospital and so used all hospital linens on the table I was placed on.  The "cup" aparatus used to hold my head was covered with a hospital terry cloth towel and it was quite rough.  Anyway, about 4 hours later, my neck started itching, then the itching got worse and worse and worse.  When I awoke the next morning, you would not believe what I looked like:  I had 3 turkey necks, all swollen and red and itching like crazy.  Had o find a Derm stat.  This new Derm told me I was clearly super allergic to the soap the hospital had used on the towel.  I wanted to walk around with a bag over my head.  LOL!  People were staring at me!!!  Told DH that I wasn't going to go outside until this thing settled down, which took 3 whole weeks.  I should have made plane reservations and gone back to my Pain doc in San Diego for the darn injection!

Again, I'm so glad you mentioned what your Cedars Neuro said about a new med being released near the end of the year.  I sure hope it's something I can take.  Also, with the new Admin, look for pressure on the FDA to loosen up new NDAs (New Drug Applications) and to move forward quicker (as Europe does).  I was involved for a number of years in clinical research and trials and cannot begin to tell you of all the feet dragging that goes on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@sfnative, I am floored by the Mobic and it's effect on your kidneys.  I was on it once or twice, but it did nothing....

I love steroids-unfortunately, I have to take the dose packs a few times a year.  I hate what they do to my glucose: up,, up and away, along with insatiable hunger.....but pain does go away-that's a given

Unfortunately, they caused me to develop vascular necrosis in my hip.  It healed on its own, but it was picked up in a strange way.  My rheumatologist was concerned about movement in my left hip which I didn't think was a problem, but I humored him by getting an MRI.  My left hip was clean, but I had sizeable AVN on the right.  Thankfully,I saw a very conservative orthopod who followed me for a number of months, and it healed on its own.

My heart goes out to you: it's little consolation, but enjoy the symptom free time for as long as you can......

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

I'm incredibly sorry to hear of the dreadful side effects you experienced.  Oh my word!  You were fortunate that the AVN healed on its own, for sure.

Now I'm wondering about my lab work just done yesterday.  Have to have it every 6 months and with the Medrol completed about 10 days ago, hope my blood sugar didn't go wonky.  Though 6 results have already come in, 2 of the more comprehensive tests have not, so now I'm really going to keep my eye out for them and race to see what my fasting sugar was.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Respected Contributor

Hi house_cat. When you first posted, I suggested you speak to your doctor about the nasal spray Sprix. Did you ever try it? I have had migraines for 20 years and a Botox for about 5 yrs. Instead of having a migraine every week, I now have them once a month. When I use the Sprix, I feel better by the end of the day. It's Toridol (potent) in nasal spray. Please look into it. My injections sometimes work better than others. I hope the shots start to help you more. There is a medication called Topamax. All I know about it is, it takes away migraines for a lot of people. The only problem is that one may lose weight and there is a possibility of making kidney stones. I haven't tried it because I have always made k. Stones. I hope some of this info helps and you start getting more relief. My heart is with you.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Hi @sfnative!

Well guess what? Fun cooking is on hiatus for a wee bit because I started Solumedrol yesterday.  By lunch,, glucose was soaring!

I keep my diabetic cooking creative and totally legal because no food is worth feeling like garbage for!

My labs wee put off by 3 weeks because this stays with me for awhile.

I am making this flatbread this weekend however subbing low carb flours.

Please feel free to pop over to the Diabetes thread on the health forum!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

PS, my Lindt 90% is still on my menu!!!

Honored Contributor

@Coquille

I've tried pretty much everything possible.  I'm currently on Lyrica with no noticeable benefit.

I'm really happy to hear that you found something that works for you :-)

Thank you for posting.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Hi @sfnative!

Well guess what? Fun cooking is on hiatus for a wee bit because I started Solumedrol yesterday.  By lunch,, glucose was soaring!

I keep my diabetic cooking creative and totally legal because no food is worth feeling like garbage for!

My labs wee put off by 3 weeks because this stays with me for awhile.

I am making this flatbread this weekend however subbing low carb flours.

Please feel free to pop over to the Diabetes thread on the health forum!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

PS, my Lindt 90% is still on my menu!!!

@Poodlepet2

Really, really sorry to hear that the Solumedrol has caused your glucose to soar.  Is it necessary for you to be on this drug for a long course of treatment?

Hope the bread turns out OK for you and that you find it enjoyable.  Will hop over to the other thread and "see" you there.

Take care.