Esteemed Contributor

Husband did the grocery shopping.  Ask for 20 "New" potatoes or a bag of them.  He came home with humongous New potatoes, the likes of which I've never seen.  They're as big as a large orange.  Not exactly what I had in mind.

We're having a weird Easter dinner: asked people what they wanted and so the 2 proteins are corned beef and fried chicken legs.  Was going to pressure cook the small New potatoes and take it from there, but...

now I would like your help with a recipe I could use with these humongous New potatoes that would be suitable for both corned beef and fried chicken legs.

Got any ideas?  I would really appreciate them.  Thanks so much!

Respected Contributor

Re: New Potatoes: Need Help

[ Edited ]

Are they russet or Idaho potatoes?

I guess it doesn't matter but the recipe from Taste of Home for

Mashed Potato Casserole is really delicious.

All Recipes has one with cheese and who doesn't love cheese with potatoes.

Both of those would work well with your two proteins.

Honored Contributor

I love oven roasted potatoes..you could make potato salad or bake them whole and make baked stuffed potatos

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative I've seen a couple of good looking recipes that contain both potatoes and cabbage which I think may tie in nicely with both of your proteins.  Here are the links to those recipes:

http://www.food.com/recipe/cabbage-potato-casserole-204441

https://www.thespruce.com/cabbage-and-potato-casserole-2216666

I'm not sure about this final recipe as to be honest I am not exactly sure what a new potato is and this recipe calls for russets:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/polish-cabbage-potato-bacon-casserole-recipe.html

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me, "New" means the red-skinned potato (which is not as starchy and mushy as russet), and although I have fixed them many different ways, my husband seemed to like this result the best. 

Simply roughly pare off any skin that has any blemish, cut them into smaller-size pieces, boil for a short time until tender, (tested with a fork),  and then douse them with butter, salt and an herb, such as dill or tarragon or thyme, or a mix of herbs, and serve.  They can be quite good.

The butter and salt are key to this result, as I've found to be true with just about any potato or vegetable.........LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

To me, "New" means the red-skinned potato (which is not as starchy and mushy as russet), and although I have fixed them many different ways, my husband seemed to like this result the best. 

Simply roughly pare off any skin that has any blemish, cut them into smaller-size pieces, boil for a short time until tender, (tested with a fork),  and then douse them with butter, salt and an herb, such as dill or tarragon or thyme, or a mix of herbs, and serve.  They can be quite good.

The butter and salt are key to this result, as I've found to be true with just about any potato or vegetable.........LOL!!

Hey @novamc1 it's good to see you! . . . how are things going?

And thanks for the new potatoes explanation.  That's what I thought they were but wasn't sure . . . many years ago on a bag of potatoes I bought they had a tag that actually explained the different types of spuds and what they were best used for . . . I so wish I knew where that tag ran off to . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

What I do is cut them in cubes about the same size and boil them. When done, I add salt, butter, and sprinkle in chopped fresh parsley. I make these a lot.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

When we refer to "new" potatoes, we mean the first of the new crop--the smallest, first on the plant potatoes.  Any variety, but we normally plant reds because they do best where we live.  Very tender with a very thin skin.  We just pop them in a pan to boil (since they're so tender they're done in a jiffy), slather some real butter and a touch of salt on top.  Yum.

A real treat that comes only once a year.  

Honored Contributor

They are not as creamy as the small new potatoes.   I'd quarter them, put them in the oven with some seasoning.

@sfnative

Honored Contributor

New potatoes stay firm when cooked..........so I'd make potato salad

♥Surface of the Sun♥