Trusted Contributor

Have you ever tried stuffed flank steak?   Here's the bas...

Have you ever tried stuffed flank steak?

Here's the basic idea. Get a big, flat flank steak. Make stuffing--bread, celery, onion, egg, mushrooms--however you like it. Wrap the flank steak around the stuffing and bake. It needs to cook low and slow to allow the steak to get tender and yummy. You can find a bunch of recipes online for details.

Flank steak can be tough if not cooked slowly, but it has an absolutely delicious flavor. And the presentation, sliced crosswise, is very attractive. Goes well with any of the sides you like best. I like it with butternut squash and a green veg. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you ever tried stuffed flank steak? Here's the bas...

[ Edited ]

I would go for the beef Wellington but if I didn't want to do that I would simply do steaks on the bbq (if you live like I do where you can bbq in winter) scalloped potatoes or lasagne. It doesn't have to be fancy. We are planning on doing steaks on the bbq and if we change our mind it will be burgers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help with Christmas Dinner....

Ox-tails or beef shanks.  Lots of ways to prepare both.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

This is the one I use - perfection and easy peasy!

Servings: 7-9

1 cup butter, softened

7 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped

2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped

2 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon pepper

5-7 pounds boneless ribeye roast, trimmed

2 tablespoons flour

2 cups beef stock

Mashed potatoes, to serve

Green beans, to serve

PREPARATION

1. Preheat oven to 500°F/260°C.
  2. Mix together the butter, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper in a bowl until evenly combined.
  3. Rub the herb butter all over the rib roast, then place on a roasting tray with a rack.
  4. Bake for 5 minutes per pound of meat — so a 5-pound roast would bake for 25 minutes and a 7-pound roast would bake for 35 minutes.
  5. Turn off the heat and let the rib roast sit in the oven for 2 hours, making sure you do not open the oven door or else the residual heat will escape.
  6. Once the 2 hours are up, remove the roast from the pan and pour the pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat.
  7. Add the flour, whisking until there are no lumps, then add the beef stock, stirring and bringing the sauce to a boil.
  8. Remove from heat and strain the sauce into a gravy dish.
  9. Carve the prime rib into ¾-inch slices, then serve with the mashed potatoes, green beans, and sauce!
  10. Enjoy!
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever tried stuffed flank steak? Here's the bas...

@KaySD wrote:

Have you ever tried stuffed flank steak?

Here's the basic idea. Get a big, flat flank steak. Make stuffing--bread, celery, onion, egg, mushrooms--however you like it. Wrap the flank steak around the stuffing and bake. It needs to cook low and slow to allow the steak to get tender and yummy. You can find a bunch of recipes online for details.

Flank steak can be tough if not cooked slowly, but it has an absolutely delicious flavor. And the presentation, sliced crosswise, is very attractive. Goes well with any of the sides you like best. I like it with butternut squash and a green veg. 

@KaySD.  This was one of my moms specialities.  However, she browned it in a bit of oil then cooked it in the pressure cooker which made it very tender.  She made gravy with the pan drippings.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I am a huge fan of beef but not prime rib.  To me, it is too fatty and I don't like the texture.

Give me a t-bone or Porterhouse any day or a good filet.  Serve with sauteed mushrooms and gravy/sauce with a splash of wine or cognac and a well-baked fluffy potato and a lot of salt and I'm in heaven.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Give me a t-bone or Porterhouse any day or a good filet.  Serve with sauteed mushrooms and gravy/sauce with a splash of wine or cognac and a well-baked fluffy potato and a lot of salt and I'm in heaven.

@Sooner   Are you my long lost foodie twin? Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Lasagna! 

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Lasagna! 

Lasagna gets my vote!  Pair with garlic bread and a  green salad.

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

I've done Beef Wellington before; it's been awhile but maybe I should revisit it.

I've NEVER done Prime rib before (we're not big beef eaters, lol). Suggestions for a great recipe? Standing crown roast...is this what many of you are talking about?

Needs to serve 6 with leftovers, lol.

Thank you, ladies!!!

@FiddleDeeDee Any possibility you have a Ron Popeil Showtime rotisserie lol?  Best prime rib, 11 mins per lb we use a Prime Rib rub from local specialty store. Never had a fail.