Trusted Contributor

Need help with Christmas Dinner....

Here is the situation:

First time away from friends and family for this holiday. Traditionally, the holidays are filled with lots of dinners/parties. Trying to keep that going (at least the dinners and decor) so it still feels like the holidays. I can't think of a meal for Christmas Dinner. I do NOT want to repeat the other dishes so..

* No turkey

* No chicken

* No sliced/spiral ham

* No seafood

* No pork

* No lamb

This leaves me with beef of some sort but don't want a pot roast, don't want a basic roast, don't want a fancy stew. What does one make that's beef but holiday-ish? Oh and DH said no steaks; that's for BBQ's.

*sigh* Help!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

Re: Need help with Christmas Dinner....

Get a small prime rib and cook it. It will be expensive but something different.

Regular Contributor

Standing rib roast for prime rib, baked potato and fresh asparagus.  Yum!

Honored Contributor

Prime Rib.

Respected Contributor

Beef Wellington.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

We love beef tenderloin. But I'd never turn down prime rib, either.  Husband makes a couple of sauces for the beef that work if you have a sandwich or have it plain.

To dress it up, use veggies with lots of color like carrots, the asparagus already mentioned, pasta salad with rainbow pasta.

Let us know what you decide!

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft    I love beef wellington.  My favorite restaurant took off their menu years ago, I was so disappointed.  Do you make it from scratch?

Respected Contributor

Or  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/2260/everyday-cooking/gourmet/main-dishes/beef/ 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  The best cut of beef and the easiest to cook is a beef tenderloin. Get a whole one.  If it is just a couple of people eating have the butcher trim it and tie it and the cut into 2 roasts. I rub the roast with olive oil and season it with a rub.I use Fresh Market Signature spice rub. In the oven at 375 for about 30-40 minutes or until the level of doneness that you desire. We like ours medium rare. You need a good meat thermometer. This cut is too expensive to ruin by over cooking. But it is super easly. I put sliced potatoes and onions abount the roast. A standing rib roast is delicious but I leave that one to my daughter. 

Esteemed Contributor

Beef tenderloin or prime rib are excellent choices that are usually saved for special occasions - mainly because of the price, although they're both well worth it. Follow specific cooking instructions you can find online.