Valued Contributor

Need help regarding frozen pastrami and placing in Steam in Instant Pot

[ Edited ]

Friend gave me authentic Kosher presliced frozen pastrami which is about 2  lbs and it needs to be thawed and reheated to make sandwiches, but I do not like thawing in the refrigerator, so was thinking to place it into my Instant Pot pressure cooker on the IP rack and add some water and select the steam function  on the IP so the pastrami slices can go from frozen to steamed and succulent, and ready to serve for sliced pastrami sandwiches on rye with Nathan's deli mustard..

I though using steam cooking time of 1/2 hour and it should be ready to serve.

(WIll also be serving sides of potato salad, cole slaw, and Greek salad).

Anyone agree with this IP Pressure cooker steaming method please advise asap, and many thanks in advance,  as I need to make it today. for a gathering of friends!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help regarding frozen pastrami and placing in Steam in Instant Pot

@GiantsLover wrote:

Friend gave me authentic Kosher presliced frozen pastrami which is about 2  lbs and it needs to be thawed and reheated to make sandwiches, but I do not like thawing in the refrigerator, so was thinking to place it into my Instant Pot pressure cooker on the IP rack and add some water and select the steam function  on the IP so the pastrami slices can go from frozen to steamed and succulent, and ready to serve for sliced pastrami sandwiches on rye with Nathan's deli mustard..

I though using steam cooking time of 1/2 hour and it should be ready to serve.

(WIll also be serving sides of potato salad, cole slaw, and Greek salad).

Anyone agree with this IP Pressure cooker steaming method please advise asap, and many thanks in advance,  as I need to make it today. for a gathering of friends!

I have heated frozen solid soup and it worked well, 

I would try steaming for less and see how it works so you do overcook the pastrami, even tho it's cooked it might turn to mush if steamed too long, 

Mr bear loves a pastrami sandwich when should he be there?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help regarding frozen pastrami and placing in Steam in Instant Pot

@GiantsLover-I was thinking THE RACK before I read down to where you mentioned it. I’d be doing the same thing as you’re considering, based on the fact that “steam tables” are often used to keep foods warm and tasty at top notch restaurant buffets.

I would agree with @jackthebear about the time factor, and I’d start attempting to ease the slices apart gently with a dull spatula (so as not to actually cut into the individual slices) maybe after the first several minutes in the steam, then continuing to do so until all of the slices have come apart.

Hopefully you have access to REAL honest Rye with the yielding but slightly chewy crust. We have a delightful new Weis supermarket in our neighborhood, and I can hardly resist some of their carby wonders.

The rest of your menu is perfection, right down to the Greek Salad!

I need to get to your gathering before three, because we’re having The Princess for a sleep in, so please be sure Ican get there in time for my slice!