Honored Contributor

@coco14 paging @momtochloe @house_cat for you since they were NOT highlighted in your openeing post

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Yahooey , but I'm the wrong one to ask about pork chops.  I don't think I've ever had a good one and I know I've never cooked a good one.  I'm sure it's because I overcook them.  When I see chefs on t.v. saying that it's okay to eat pink pork - that it should be a little pink inside - it turns my stomach.  I'm sure they're right, but not for me.  Overcooking them, however, makes them tough as shoe leather. I buy pork tenderloin almost exclusively. I've never had one turn out badly.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

@ECBG @RedTop 

I let the pork chop come to joom temperature - about an hour; I too was surprised  it wasn't hard as a rock and dry - thinking the olive oil kept it moist.

I have one more chop so I will try again and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

@coco14  it looks like you have gotten lots of great advice/ideas about your question.  I have to be honest, I was surprised the chop came out moist as that was quite a bit of time to cook a pork chop but thank goodness it turned out great!

I know pork chops can be tricky so I have fallen in love with bone in pork country ribs (description may vary a bit by store).  I like bone in anything because of the extra flavor the bone adds but with these ribs you get some nice hunks of meat but since it is attached to the bone it doesn't seem to dry out as much as a full chop if that makes sense.  I buy them when they have the value pack on sale, wrap them individually and then decide how to prepare them that day (right now my fave rave is an Asian sauce I bought at Aldi (Orange Ginger) that is delicious!  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

@ECBG 

Great suggestion!  I will try this with the next chop.

Honored Contributor

@coco14 

I would think 20 mins would cook a pork chop in the oven.

Is you oven working right? 

Thanks for sharing the One Dish recipe site. I will have to make a list for anything I may need to try some of her recipes.

I make boneless pork chops brushed with avocado or olive oil in a skillet with some salt, pepper & thyme, cook each side on medium high heat about 4 mins, turn off the burner, put on the lid for about 8-10 mins & they are done. Never have turned out dry. Ready to deglaze the pan now with some butter, wine or broth or water if that's all you have to make sauce for pork chops & rice.

Here's another easy recipe you may like I got of the board long time ago.

During the Worlds Fair, this was served on the menu at the Space Needle. This serves one person.

Space Needle Chicken

1 chicken breast

1 teaspoon onion soup mix

1 teaspoon butter

1 tablespoon half and half

optional a couple sliced mushrooms

Put a chicken breast on a piece of heavy aluminum foil. Cup the foil around the chicken.

Mix together remaining ingredients. Put on top of chicken.

Wrap the foil fairly loosely over and around the chicken.

Bake @ 350° 1 hour and maybe 10 minutes longer.

Loosen the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to brown.

Serve in foil so the chicken can sort of be dipped in the juices while eating.

Esteemed Contributor

@coco14 

I know I'm coming very late into the discussion, but would add that I'd always go the Bobby Flay way, which also saves lots of energy.  By this, I mean not having to turn on one's oven to 400 for however long just for 1 porkchop.

Instead, I have a rub (the chicken one from Boby Flay) that I rub one just one side of the chop, after having salted and peppered both sides.  The rub is sprinkled onto the entire side end pressed a bit, then allowed to sit for about 30 minutes.  Heat a medium to heavy skillet, add 2 Tbs canola oil, swirl it around and place the chop rub side down.  Fry for 3.5 minutes, then turn.  Continue frying until done - this depends upon the thickness of the chop.  Ours usually means an additional 2.5-3.5 minutes on the second side.

I keep the rub in a small Ball or Kerr jar in a cool cabinet and also have one for beef.  Love Bobby's rubs so much.

We usually serve chops with potatoes done one way or another and a salad.

Happy Eating!

Valued Contributor

@sfnative @Nightowlz @momtochloe @house_cat @aroc3435 

More great suggestions! 

My oven is brand new (gas) and so is my oven thermometer, so it did reach 400 degrees -

Thanks to everyone, I am now baking more rice recipes, changing the liquid ingredients and happy with all the choices.

Another try with the porkchop and then I will try the chicken breast - this probably sounds silly to those of you who cook everyday and are successful, but it has always been a struggle for me.

Thanks to @momtochloe for the One Dish kitchen tip.

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Here’s one thing you MUST have on hand is Spatinni spaghetti sauce mix.

Many restaurants use it for everything and people don’t know it.

It used to be sold in stores but now it only comes in restaurant size.  One package will last for years as it only takes a small amount.

Its great for meat loaf, you name it.  A lot of people use it.

I special order it through Amazon.

Oh my, Spatinni brings back so many memories. My Mom used to use this all the time to make spaghetti sauce. I didnt know that they still made it. Thank you for the tip!

Valued Contributor
I always use pork steaks! I put it with flour and salt and pepper and cook it really fast in a frying pan.
Trusted Contributor

Like others I bake for about 25 minutes.

BritBrit..hi gf!  I do that same thing too !

Nightowlz... That was me who posted the recipe for Space Needle Chicken. I posted that years ago! Thanks for the reminder Smiley Happy