Contributor

Has anyone here made Nancy's Cabbage Rolls from lr website?  I just put them in the oven and have a question. I halved the recipe using 2lb of beef. The baking instructions for 4lbs say to bake for one hour at 450 degrees, then turn down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 90 minutes. This seems very long for one 9" x 11" baking pan with 11 cabbage rolls. Any advice would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nancy’s Cabbage Rolls?

@SugarGlider 

I just looked at the recipe.  It is totally different than how I would make them.

If you followed her instructions, your beef and rice went in raw and your cabbage was only blanched.

To me, it does seem long but maybe not crazy long.

You have to be sure the rice and beef are thoughly cooked and your cabbage soft.

I would check at one hour.  Either w/ a thermometer to check the beef temp but actually, I would remove and test by taste.  You don't want your rice to be under cooked.

If you do leave in longer, I would, as recipe states, reduce the heat.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@SugarGliderI do hope someone responds to you.  I don't cook a whole lot any longer, but I'd think that long in a 450 degree oven would burn your casserole to a crisp!  Something just feels wrong to me -  and not just because you're making half the recipe!

Contributor

Thank you so much. I will take them out in about 10 minutes to see what is happening.  The cabbage was blanched, and the meat and rice raw, which might explain the lengthy time. But I agree 2 1/2 hours seems way to long.

Contributor

I did use a porcelain baking dish because I had the same worry. but on the plus side, the juice mixture of tomato sauce, tomato juice and tomato soup completely covered the rolls and then I covered it all with heavy duty foil. I will post again after I check things out..thanks so much for your input.

Honored Contributor

I cook a huge meatloaf in a 13x9 pan for an hour at 375, so both the high heat and lengthy cooking time for the recipe seems like total overkill to me.   

I would’ve cooked the cabbage rolls covered for 40 minutes at 400, then removed the foil for another 20 minutes, and considered them done.   

Honored Contributor

I make a recipe from an old issue of Redbook: 

12 cabbage leaves

1 lb ground beef

1 cup cooked rice

15 oz can tomato sauce

1 tsp garlic salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp cornstarch

Cover cabbage leaves in 9x13" cake dish with boiling water and let sit until limp.  Drain.

Mix beef, rice, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, garlic salt, pepper, onions, and green pepper in bowl.  Roll 1/3 cup mixture in each cabbage leaf, tucking in the sides.  Place seam-side down in 9x13" baking dish.  Mix rest of tomato sauce with sugar and pour over rolls.  Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  

Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp water in small dish.  Remove rolls to plate and pour juice in saucepan.  Stir cornstarch mixture in with juice.  Stir over heat to boil for 1 minute.  Pour over rolls to serve.     

Contributor

Okay I just checked them out. At this point it seems tasteless, and the rice had not yet puffed out, but it was not dry. So I am going to go for it and hope that by baking at 350 for 90 minutes that the flavor of the cabbage and broth will be absorbed into the beef.  I will post again after dinner and let you know if it turned out.

Contributor

This recipe sounds very good. If today's tryout is a flop I'll make this one next time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SugarGlider 

Deepwaters recipe is slightly similar to how I would make them. I would use some sort of spag sauce (preferrably my own homemade) or tomato sauce.  I don't care for using canned tomato soup for anything except for a bowl of soup!

I alway skillet my ground meat and veggies first, not overcooking.  (no sugar, no cornstarch)  My rice is always cooked b4 stuffing.  So overall, my cooking time is a lot less.

I have never made cabbage rolls with eggs in it...did it give you a meatloaf firmness inside?  Like you could slice the filling?  I'd be interested to know how they finally came out!

Thanks for updating !