Respected Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Cheese Fries

Featured Ingredient:  HAVARTI CHEESE

2 lb (32 oz)  package of frozen French fries (I like shoestring, crinkle cut, or curly)

1 cup shredded Havarti cheese

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cook fries on a cookie sheet in the oven according to package directions.  Remove from oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees.  Toss the two cheeses together and sprinkle over the baked fries.  Return them to the oven until the cheese melts, about 5 or 6 minutes.

Top with 1/4 cup of chopped dried or fresh scallions, or canned jalapenno peppers, and 3 or 4 strips of crispy crumbled bacon.  Serve with Ranch or Aioli dressing on the side.

Notes:  This is a recipe I used to offer when I hosted a "heavy appetizers" cocktail party, though usually I used Meunster cheese instead of the HAVARTI.  The men especially liked it if they were drinking beer instead of mixed drinks.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  GARLIC, the "stinking rose"

Honored Contributor

Chicken Limone

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 eggs

2 tablespoons water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons olive oil

8 lemon slices

1/4 cup melted butter

Juice of 1 lemon

2-3 cloves GARLIC, finely chopped

Heat oven to 350.  Cut chicken pieces lengthwise into eight pieces.  Place chicken between sheets of wax paper and pound to 1/4" thickness.  (Or buy thin chicken breasts if your store has them.). 

In shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs with water.  In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper.  In a third bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan.  Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.  Dip in egg wash and coat in breadcrumb mixture.

Heat skillet, add olive oil and when hot brown chicken, about 3 minutes on each side.  Remove chicken to a cookie sheet (or baking dish); place a slice of lemon on each and bake for 20 minutes.  

In meantime, combine melted butter and lemon juice and pour over chicken after 20 minutes of baking.  Sprinkle diced GARLIC over chicken, if desired.  Return to oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.  

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SOUP, canned or dry mix 

Honored Contributor

EASY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

YIELDS:6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 40 MINS

INGREDIENTS

Cooking spray 

1/2 c.

(1 stick) butter

(15-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup

large eggs, beaten

1 c.

mayonnaise

2 c.

shredded cheddar

3/4 c.

freshly grated Parmesan

1 tbsp.

Dijon mustard

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 lb.

frozen chopped broccoli, defrosted

crushed RITZ Crackers

Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350º and grease a casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add soup, eggs, mayonnaise, cheddar, Parmesan, and mustard and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Layer broccoli on bottom of baking dish. Pour saucepan mixture over broccoli and sprinkle all over with RITZ.
  3. Bake until golden and bubbling, 30 minutes.
  4. Garnish with parsley before serving.

Broccoli Casserole Vertical
NEXT INGREDIENT: MILK (any kind)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mocha Spiced Hot Cocoa

1½ cups milk

½ cup semisweet chocolate chips

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (I use decaf - can't have the extra caffine)

1/8 teaspoon chili powder

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and firmly secure the lid.

Select Variable 1

Start machine and slowly increase to its highest speed.

Blend for 5 minutes.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per 1 cup (240ml) Serving: Calories 400, Total Fat 22g, Dietary Fiber 3g, sugars 41g, Protein 10g

Source of recipe: Vitamix

Notes: I have found this recipe to be very adapatable, if you do not have a Vitamix it can be done on a stove top watching it carefully so as not to scorch the milk. 

You can also leave out the chili powder if you prefer.  I like the chili powder in mine, but my DH doesn't care for the extra pop of spice, and it bothers his stomach sometimes - so I leave it out till the end, and put some in my cup of hot chocolate. 

Next Ingred: You Choose / Your Choice

Esteemed Contributor

Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake

Better than Pumpkin Pie Cake is the perfect Thanksgiving or fall dessert. With a cake layer on the bottom, and a crunchy brown sugar topping, it is divine!

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 box plain yellow cake mix
½ C butter, melted (might want to reduce butter with smaller cake mixes you buy today)
1 egg

Mix together and press into a 9X13 pan

Filling:
1 can (29 oz.) pumpkin
3 eggs
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 cup sugar

Mix ingredients and pour over the cake mixture.

Sprinkle with nuts  (your choice)

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 mins.

Top with whipped cream topping when served!

Next ingredient:  Fruit cocktail

Honored Contributor

coconut pecan sauce poured over fully baked fruit cocktail cake in a baking dish

Fruit Cocktail Cake

FOR THE CAKE:

• 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 15 oz can fruit cocktail in heavy syrup undrained
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar

For the Sauce

• 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

• Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (I like the kind that has flour in it.)
  • In a medium bowl, mix together all cake ingredients using an electric mixer at low speed until thoroughly combined.
  • Pour cake batter evenly into prepared baking dish.
  • Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes (oven times vary so check after 30 minutes.) When done, cake should spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
FOR THE SAUCE:
  • Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan.
  • Turn the heat up and bring it all to a boil for one minute.
  • Using a fork, poke a few holes in the cake.
  • Pour warm sauce over warm cake.
  • Make sure to spread out the coconut and pecans evenly over cake.
  • Serve warm or at room temperature.

Next Ingredient: Dried cranberries

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Turkey and Dressing in Crock Pot

3# turkey breast

1 pkg. (8 oz) stuffing bread cubes

2 celery ribs, chopped

1 small/med onion, chopped

1 cup DRIED CRANBERRIES

3/4 cup chicken broth (or less)

1 tablespoon melted butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon thyme

Coat inside of crock pot with spray such as Pam.  Add stuffing, onion, celery and DRIED CRANBERRIES.  Mix together.  Combine broth and melted butter; pour over stuffing and mix again.  Remove any string from turkey and rinse.  Place turkey on top of stuffing.  Combine spices and sprinkle over it.  

Cook on HIGH for 1 hour; then LOW for 5-6 hours.  Dinner in a pot!!

( I do not know where I got this recipe. Here?  I have made it once and it is good.  As I recall, stuffing seemed a little too moist.  You may want to add some chicken broth but not all.  Can always add remaining amount later in cooking if needed.)

NEXT INGREDIENT .... APPLES 

Honored Contributor

Since we're less than a week from Thanksgiving Day I'll add this recipe for delicious cranberry relish:

Fresh Cranberry Relish Recipe
    (makes about four cups)

1 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
1 large orange (or 2 small), chopped into small pieces
1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (drained of excess juice)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup sugar  (I use Splenda)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Rinse and drain the cranberries, then pulse in a food chopper until finely chopped.  Put in a large bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and allow to sit for two hours (or preferably overnight) in the refrigerator before serving, so that the sugar can dissolve and the flavors can mingle. This relish freezes well.  And it's a great addition to your Thanksgiving meal.

Next Ingredient:  Your Choice

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Ingredient: ZUCCHINI 

JALAPEÑO ZUCCHINI POPPERS
248B3352-C19C-4C0E-ADFC-B07B8A0C9E82.jpeg

3 médium zucchini, ends removed and halved crosswise
6 oz.cream cheese, softened
1/2 c shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 c.shredded Cheddar
3slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, 1 tbsp reserved for topping
1jalapeno, minced
1 tsp.garlic powder

kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 tbsp. chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Slice off both ends of zucchini and discard. Line up chopsticks on either side of zucchini, then carefully make 1/4” slices, making sure your knife hits the chopsticks. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
  2. Place zucchini on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake until pliable, 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, make jalapeño popper filling: in a medium bowl combine cream cheese, 1/2 c mozzarella, cheddar, bacon, jalapeño and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper and stir until fully combined.
  4. Remove zucchini from oven and stuff jalapeño mixture between each slice. Top with remaining mozzarella and bacon and bake until cheese is melty, 6 to 8 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Next Ingredient: MJSHROOMS

Honored Contributor

French Rice

1 can French Onion Soup, undiluted

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 small jar or can sliced MUSHROOMS

1 small can sliced Water Chestnuts

1 cup uncooked rice (regular or brown)

Combine soup and butter.  Drain MUSHROOMS and Water Chestnuts reserving liquid.  Add enough water to liquid to equal 1 1/3 cups.  Add MUSHROOMS, Water Chestnuts, liquids and rice to soup mixture; mix well.  Pour into a lightly greased baking dish.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SOUR CREAM