Honored Contributor

Dealing with food allergies and sensitivities can be nerve wracking.   The offender, in this case, is wheat.

A few years ago, I tried a spaghetti made with brown rice.  It was only "okay".  Can't remember the brand name.

Last month, I tried Banzo pasta ... made with garbanzo beans.   Apparently, I overcooked it, and will give it a second chance.

Just wondering ....   has anyone been eating a non-wheat pasta they would recommend?  Would love some feedback.  Feel free to share brand names whenever possible.

TIA !

Respected Contributor

Re: NON-WHEAT PASTAS

[ Edited ]

My nephew is gluten sensitive. He can manage a couple of bites of "regular" bread or pasta and but beyond that, he's miserable. He likes both DeLallo and Barilla gluten free pastas. They're a blend of corn and rice. I've tried them and they're fine. They DO NOT re-heat well though. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

I have tried Barilla red lentil spaghetti and I disliked the texture and taste. Never again.

I will stick to gluten free Barilla pasta.

Honored Contributor

I have been eating gluten-free for 36 years.

I have tasted  just about every type of gluten- free pasta out there.  My favorite is made with corn.  It doesn't get mushy and is about as close to the wheat type IMO.

Lately, I just have been buying Barilla gluten- free.  It is available in my grocery store and is convenient.  My DH eats it...he has no idea it is gluten-free. It is made with corn and rice.

You have to remember to not over cook gluten- free pasta and if it contains any rice, you have to rinse it well with cold water after you cook it.  If not, it gets too starchy, sticky and mushy.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I also tried and ate the brown rice pasta and I liked it but if you overcook it it gets real gummy and not good.  The brand was Jovial.

Trusted Contributor

So many kinds of non-wheat pasta have been introduced lately! It used to be terrible--no taste and grainy texture--ugh. Now I'm liking a lot of what I try, and especially the ones that have a high proportion of lentils or chickpeas. Yes, you do have to be careful cooking them, as they take different times and sometimes methods than you would use with hard wheat. And if you are gluten sensitive, they still may not work for you because most grains have their own type of gluten--just not wheat gluten. Tricky!. TJ was selling a corn-quinoa spaghetti for a while--delish, but corn glutens not so good for everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44- Trader Joe's has a rice based spaghetti.  It's not bad.

Respected Contributor

I like the Birds Eye Veggie Made pastas. They have a few different varieties.

Trusted Contributor

i like the veggie pastas a lot, but this week, i ordered shirataki noodles. it's made from the konjac root and is very low in calories. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: NON-WHEAT PASTAS

[ Edited ]

Yes, I found a delicious gluten free pasta made in Italy from corn. Surprisingly it's not that expensive at all either.

It's called "Le Veneziane".  I get mine from Vitacost along with my vitamins.

Once you sign up they always have special deals offered to you as well.

91tOB3HIazL._SX679_ le ven.jpg

Spaghetti400_1-700x700 soahetti.jpg