Super Contributor

Yesterday's mashed potatoes....BLECH!

Yesterday I made 5 lbs. of mashed potatoes using Russets.  I was having company and lots of cooking sites said they're the best (usually use Yukons).  Anyway, I made them about an hour ahead, put them on the "keep warm" setting on my Instant Pot.  When it was time to eat, they were all hardened up in the IP.   I was soooo disappointed.  They tasted fine with all the gravy poured on, but I'm wondering why that happened.   Your thoughts? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Yesterday's mashed potatoes....BLECH!

@seaswirl  "Covered" they will stay soft.  Uncovered, they get hard.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

they probably needed more milk/cream and/or butter.

a combination of those ingredients usually fixes the issue.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@seaswirl   I have better luck using a double boiler to keep them warm or by placing the finished product in a slow cooker that has been greased with unsalted butter with a little half and half on the bottom and covered, set to lowest setting.

Have also "nuked" them  in short bursts lightly covered with a paper towel in the microwave, dotting with extra unsalted butter when I pulll them out.

The most important thing is to place them on a low burner when first cooked and drained to remove any lurking excess water before mashing and adding in the butter, half and half, or cream.

Hope this helps.  By the way, russets are my first choice for mashers with Yukon Golds or Idahos being my second aand third choices respectively.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435  "using a double boiler" 👍🏾

Only way to go in keeping mashed potatoes warm.  It's old school & NEVER fails.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl  I have kept up to 10 lbs. of mashed potatoes for 2 hours on the Warm setting in my slow cooker. It does not change in texture a bit. Would recommend it to anyone. It has saved my sanity during Thanksgiving for the past several years. Thanks to my friend from work!

Regular Contributor

I put a small amount of water in crockpot. Set on low temp. Put mashed potatoes in oven bag; no need to seal but close at top and place in crockpot warm water bath. Let the bag of potatoes sit in the warm water. They stay warm for hours. Alternative is to mash potatoes and place in mixing bowl. Set covered mixing bowl on top of saucepan that has warm water simmering; essentially creating a double boiler. Use only enough water in saucepan to reach bottom of bowl with potatoes. 

Esteemed Contributor

It could have been that the potatoes were last years crop.

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl 

When I do mashed potatoes for a lot of people, I only use butter and sour cream for better flavor when they're reheated.  

I spray a 9 x 13, add the mashed potatoes, and cover with aluminum foil.  Warm in the oven on 350 degrees.

(Sour cream instead if milk prevents refrigerated potatoes from being "mealy" when reheated.).