Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED SIMPLE RECIPE FOR CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES

@momtochloe wrote:

@tends2dogs that Aunt Bertie's recipe is the bomb.  I make it often in the cooler months and I still can't believe there is no cheese in it!  I add a bit of onion in mine and since I cook for one it's great to just slice up one or two potatoes and onions and have a great, fresh side dish . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe  Good to know.  There are only 2 of us so I can adapt this to us!  Thanks again!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@sabatini  Hi, Lady!  Your description of the age and popularity of the recipe amazes me -- I had no idea.   All I know is that our DIL made them once, and I couldn't stop eating them.  With the corn flake topping, technically, I s'pose, they are au gratin instead of scalloped potatoes.  Call them what you will, they're good (canned soup or not).  

Admittedly, the recipe I'm throwing in here does not fit the bill called for by @Tends2dog.  I'm including it only because of its great taste.  This might look involved, but @momtochloe, with the leeks, mushrooms and cheese, this is just a zhuzhed up version of yours.  BTW, it improves with 2 days aging.

Potato Gratin With Mushrooms And Gruyère
Bon Appétit | November 2010

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings Active Time: 1 hour Total Time: 2 hours

1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups finely chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 3 large)
1 ½ pounds 1/2-inch cubes assorted mushrooms (such as crimini and stemmed shiitake; about 10 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon (or more) salt
½ teaspoon (or more) freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely grated Gruyère cheese

Heat 1/4 cup oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks; sauté until soft and lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté until soft and liquid evaporates, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Pat potato slices dry with kitchen towel. Combine cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large pot. Add potatoes. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove lid; simmer until cream is reduced by about half and potatoes are partially cooked, stirring often and watching closely to prevent mixture from burning, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Brush 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with oil. Transfer half of potato mixture to dish, spreading out in even layer. Spoon mushroom mixture over in even layer. Spoon remaining potato mixture over, spreading in even layer. Sprinkle cheese over.

Cover with foil, tenting in center to prevent cheese from sticking to foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until potatoes are tender and top is brown, 20 to 25 minutes longer. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Hi again, G! @IamMrsG

Your recipe sounds fantastic! I'm a huge fan of both Gruyere & leeks, so will definitely be making these! Thank you.

Leeks add so much flavor. I love to add them to scrambled eggs.

I used to make scratch au gratin potatoes, as well as scalloped, & my mom loved it when I served the latter.

But trouble started w/ the blasted Mrs. Bailey's potatoes! After the first time, that's all the kids wanted. Haha!

To fellow posters, I definitely don't want to offend anybody, but tastes are such a subjective thing. What's yummy to one person, might not please another.

That was my experience with the much loved 'Aunt Bertie's Potatoes'.

I didn't care for them & neither did my family.  Smiley Sad

Different strokes & different tastes too! Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Leave it to you @IamMrsG for the simple yet delicious upgrade on that recipe.  I can't wait to try it . . . leeks have been added to my Trader Joe's shopping list . . . thank you my friend!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Scalloped Potatoes.  I use the "Campbell's Soup" recipe, posted by Nightowlz.

I use a Corningware pan and I cook them in the microwave for 15 minutes first before putting them in the oven. For some reason if I don't cook them in the microwave first, the potatoes in the center are still pretty hard after just oven baking them. Perhaps because I don't slice them thin enough  (I'm not a good cook, either!)

During the last 5 minutes or so, I sprinkle grated cheese over the top and put them back into the oven until the cheese melts.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I found this online a while back but have never tried it. If you try it let us all know how it is?

Scalloped Potatoes

Copyright 1969, Page 66

1 can (10 ½ ounces) condensed Cheddar cheese, cream of celery, chicken, or mushroom soup

1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
Dash pepper
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Dash paprika

Blend soup, milk and pepper. Arrange alternate layers of potatoes, onion, and sauce in *1 ½-quart casserole. *Dot top with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Cover; bake in a 375° oven 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15 minutes more. 4 to 6 servings.

Note: Sliced cooked potatoes may be substituted for raw potatoes, Mince onion and reduce cooking time to about 30 minutes; bake uncovered

Thank you for posting this recipe.  I've been looking for it for awhile now.  I made it tonight and it was very, very good!  I used Cream of Potato soup because I wanted it to be white (like white sauce) and my husband does not like cheese.  I even used white pepper.  When I make it again I will send the potato soup throught a sieve to mash up the potato chunks in the soup.  I did not like it that my mine were sliced and the pieces in the soup were chunks.  

Thanks again!  It was so much faster than my usual made-from-scratch recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens plaid cookbook.  Fewer dishes, too!

Esteemed Contributor

This is the same recipe I've used for years. For hubby and me, I use 2 large and thinly sliced russets, mushroom or celery soup, 3/4 cup milk, chopped onion, salt/pepper and about 1 cup shredded cheese on top or mixed into the potatoes. I bake mine in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour because I like the potatoes to be very creamy. It's a fail-proof recipe that's been around for years - and easy!

Regular Contributor

My scalloped potato recipe is similar to those already posted.  However, since you said you wanted to use up a bag of potatoes and some ham, I'm sharing a recipe for Ham and Potato Casserole.  It is really easy to make and super good.  I found it on a food blog and she includes some helpful hints about the recipe.  If you click on the recipe title, it will take you directly to that page.

4 to 6 Servings

3 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
ham, cooked and diced
1 (8 oz.) pkg. Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup half and half
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

In a greased 2-quart casserole dish, alternate layers of potatoes, ham and cheese three times.  Sprinkle salt and pepper over the cheese.  Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the top.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  If the top gets too brown, cover the pan with foil.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@tends2dogs  Our DIL made the following recipe, and I embarrassed myself by eating so much of it.  I couldn't resist.

Cheesy Potatoes

2 lb Hash Browns, Country Style

1/4 cup butter
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 pint Sour Cream
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
10 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese

2 cup Corn Flakes
1/4 cup butter, melted

Soften hash browns.

Combine first six ingredients (Butter through Cheese)

Mix ingredients with hash browns and place in baking dish.

Crush Corn Flakes and combine w/ melted Butter. Place mixture on top of potatoes.

Bake at 350 for about 1 hour uncovered or until hot.

I make this exact recipe and everyone always loves it. But I've never done the corn flakes topping! I'm definitely going to add it this Thanksgiving! Thanks for the recipe!

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/super-simple-scalloped-potatoes-?trkid=ZMSN

My sons love this one. They add a whole bunch of cheese to it as well which isn't in the recipe.

I make another recipe from the Pioneer Woman with ham but for some reason they don't like that recipe so when they do want scalloped potatoes this is the one I make for them.