Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday Meredith Lawrence The Blue632F63EE-46B9-4479-93F8-B62CBD7F1B02.jpeg7F15FA90-6897-44B3-8A8E-24C92836E74A.jpeg Jean Chef posted this on Instagram. 

Esteemed Contributor

No need for a 2nd egg! (Did that once, and ew!) Especially for a 1 and a half pound of meat!

Just make sure you let the meatloaf rest after you take it out of the oven. I don't even form the loaf very tightly, just put it together with utensils. Also, I don't use a lot of breadcrumbs.

I think, though, my meatloaf gets other moist ingredients, which also holds it together. Sauted onion & celery in butter & EVOO, Worchestershire sauce & yellow mustard.

Respected Contributor

Here's the recipe that @Elbelle mentioned.

Meatloaf 101 with Mrs. Kostyra, Martha Stewart's Mother

4 slices white bread, torn into pieces

• 2 1/2 pounds ground beef

• 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into eighths

• 2 cloves garlic

• 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces

• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces

• 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves

• 1 large egg

• 1 cup ketchup

• 3 teaspoons dry mustard

• 1 tablespoon coarse salt

• 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

• 2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions

Step 1

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl, and add ground beef.

Step 2

Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine. Add to meat mixture, using hands to mix well. Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, salt, and pepper; use hands to combine thoroughly. Place in an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.

Step 3

Combine remaining 1/2 cup ketchup, remaining teaspoon dry mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl; stir until smooth.

Step 4

Brush mixture over meatloaf; place in the oven with a baking pan set on the rack below to catch drippings. Cook until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 160 degrees, about 90 minutes. If top gets too dark, cover with foil, and continue baking.

Respected Contributor

what is spatini annebellethecat?.meatloaf is one of my fav foods,but I always have the same problem as well

Valued Contributor

I use the recipe on the packaging for Onion soup.  I always put in the dry onion soup in my mixture.   It never fails me and everyone loves it.  Very easy to make, I do not like anything with a lot of ingredients.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Last time I made mine I added toasted wheat germ and I thought the consistency was pretty good.  I know what you mean - too crumbly and you can't get a good slice on the plate or a sandwich.

I find I do better in small batches - I used to buy the family pack ground beef and make a bunch at one time but I couldn't get the seasoning right, nor the texture.  I do generally add moistened bread, and/or bread crumbs and if it feels like they are soaking up some of the other moist ingredients (less gooey) I can tell when I'm mixing and it's pretty good.

I just use what I have on hand for binder.  Same with flavorings.  I like to play with it.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

Ina Gartens recipe is the BEST!

Personally I dont like firm slices...too dry...

Respected Contributor
@ProudMa Is this it ?

RECIPE COURTESY OF Ina Garten 

Meat Loaf

1 tablespoon good olive oil

3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth

1 tablespoon tomato paste

2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)

1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)

2 extra-large eggs, beaten

1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)

Respected Contributor

I've been using the Lipton Onion Recipe Secrets recipe for years.  Perfect every time.

Honored Contributor

If you cut into it immediatley after you take it out of the oven, that will make it crumble--let it sit for 15 minutes before cutting. I only use one egg in mine, bread crumbs or  raw oatmeal or cooked rice --which ever I have at the time. I use  splash of milk too. and I use 2 kinds of ground meats--pork or veal is yummy with the ground beef. Mix just until blended and don't packed it in the pan---