Honored Contributor

Fixed many in my life ,i have a hungry for one soon,i saw a recipe that added some brown sugar to the mix.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, people rant and rave over my meatloaf. Imagine that. It's all in the sauce. Tomato sauce (ketchup if you like), mustard, vinegar and brown sugar. So good.

Frequent Contributor
That’s just the sauce I make!! I also add Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce and a dash of Tabasco. Ironically, I’m making this right now!!
Honored Contributor

I've never thought to add mustard and vinegar to the topping, I'll have to try it.  Husband likes ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce as a topping.

Respected Contributor

When I've made meatloaf, I've mixed:

-ground turkey

-oatmeal

-1 egg

-BBQ sauce

-salt & pepper, parsley flakes

--------------------

-and I laid strips of thick-sliced bacon all across the top

then baked

Honored Contributor

Haven't read all the replies,but Mom would add a can of vegtable beef soup to hers before baking. I have NEVER cared for meatloaf so I am no judge of the taste.

Honored Contributor

I use to make a Mexican meatloaf topped with cheese and salsa. I put Mexicorn in it, too. Served it with soft tortillas or, as some people liked, with taco shells with a slice of the meatloaf inside it.

Regular Contributor

I've made all sorts of meatloaves with varying ingredients. I've used oatmeal instead of bread crumbs, added a small can of tomato sauce and egg for liquid and binders. I have also used soft bread crumbs.  But two of my favorites that I have made are Meatloaf Wellington and a mock Italian sausage loaf.

For the Wellington, I make my usual meatloaf and after it bakes for about 45 minutes, I cover it with a biscuit dough that I make and roll out.  Cover the loaf like wrapping a package, and brush with egg wash and decorate on the top with pieces of leftover dough cut in deorative shapes and sprinkle with poppy seeds.  Then I bake it until the crust is golden brown- at least for 20 minutes.

For the Italian sausage one I dice an onion and green pepper and some minced garlic and cook it for a few minutes in the microwave to soften.  I stir in some tomato paste and fennel seed and some crushed pepper flakes (if wanting it like hot sausage). I add this mixture to the meatloaf mixture and shape into a loaf.  I bake it halfway through and add marinara sauce to the top and finish baking.  I don't add cheese to mine, but you can put some parm in if desired.  I don't have a recipe for either of these.  Just made it up myself and I wing it.  I love to cook and the only time I usually use a recipe is when I bake cakes/cookies.

Honored Contributor

I add brown sugar to a can of Manwich; use as much as needed for the meat mixture and the rest goes on top.

Respected Contributor
Meatloaf is another fav of mine.i always use dried breadcrbs instead of oatmeal to using oatmeal makes meat taste slimy