Super Contributor

Just remembered-----my husband's gram used to put a few rashers of  bacon on top of her meatloaf. She also put a few rashers of salt pork on her turkey when she made it.

Respected Contributor

I have been using" Paula Deens Meatloaf Recipe " for years and it always comes out good.  I agree with the OP about only using one egg.

PAULA DEENS MEATLOAF

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds ground beef - I use 92 % lean
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper - I use less
  •  4 oz. tomato sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together the beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan.  Top with Ketsup.  Place in in oven.

Cook's Note: Try serving as a sandwich with mayonnaise.

Honored Contributor

This is the meatloaf I grew up with.

When our son was about 10, he spent the night with a friend and they had meat loaf for dinner.  He thought it very odd that the mother cooked her meatloaf with catsup on top.  You should have seen his face when I explained "we" were the odd ones!  He was in total disbelief!

Mushroom Meatloaf or Burger Bundles

350 degrees

2 lbs ground round (or I lb ground round and one lb ground pork, not sausage, ground.).

2 pieces of well toasted bread, rough crumbled by hand

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 med onion, chopped

1 egg

Garlic powder and black pepper to sprinkle

Milk to moisten

2 cans Campbell’s mushroom soup with 1 ½ can water, mixed

Mix all EXCEPT SOUP AND WATER.

Form into a loaf in a 9 x 13 casserole.

Bake for 45 min to 1 hr, and spoon off all fat. 

Add mushroom soup and water.

Bake for an additional 1 –1 ½ hr, basting frequently until gravy thickens.

For Bundles, Patty out the size of hamburgers.

Lightly brown in frying pan, spoon off grease.

Add soup and water.

Lightly simmer and baste until gravy thickens.

Respected Contributor

If you want a really good sauce to put on top of the meatloaf - I mix ketchup, mustard and balsamic vinegar and put that mixture atop the meatloaf, before I put it in the oven. My family goes crazy for the topping. I used to make a topping from melted butter, flour etc but the above sauce is easy as it can get and better.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Interesting to see this thread, since I'm planning to make the classic meatloaf from America's Test Kitchen tomorrow.

I was a bit surprised to see that people don't seem to be using the classic meatloaf blend of meats--ground beef, pork, and veal. That's the one I'm trying. It includes egg and crushed saltines, and may have an oatmeal or bread crumb option. I also has bacon laid on top and a glaze with ketchup, I believe. (The book is in another room.)

I'll post back on my results with the recipe and any tweaks I made, although none are planned. Meatloaf is nice when made, especially with mashed potatoes, but I'm making it for the cold sandwiches the next day. That's how I love it.

Super Contributor

To keep it from falling apart,  you need to knead it more.  What I mean is you must mix it longer,  Use your hands (take off your rings),  and knead it, roll it and the fold it,  and then repeat,  till you done it at leasr a full minute.  Shape it into a loaf,  bake in a loaf pan.  Then when its done, let it cool in the pan for about 5 mins. remove carefully to cutting board, and useing a sharp, clean knife on each cut.  1 inch slices.  That ought to do it!!

Regular Contributor

I found this recipe on a food blog.  For this particular recipe, the blogger broke down the anatomy of a meat loaf and what the various ingredients are used for.  If you click the recipe title, it will take you to the blog post.  BTW, this is the best meat loaf I've ever made or eaten.  Seeing the recipe again makes me think I'll add it to next week's menu!

6 Servings

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup oats (uncooked)
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Topping:

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (I use 1 Tbsp.)
1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Combine meat loaf ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well and put in a greased baking pan.  Bake at 350° for 50 minutes.  Combine topping ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.  Pour over meat loaf and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Interesting to see this thread, since I'm planning to make the classic meatloaf from America's Test Kitchen tomorrow.

I was a bit surprised to see that people don't seem to be using the classic meatloaf blend of meats--ground beef, pork, and veal. That's the one I'm trying. It includes egg and crushed saltines, and may have an oatmeal or bread crumb option. I also has bacon laid on top and a glaze with ketchup, I believe. (The book is in another room.)

I'll post back on my results with the recipe and any tweaks I made, although none are planned. Meatloaf is nice when made, especially with mashed potatoes, but I'm making it for the cold sandwiches the next day. That's how I love it.

@noodleann,Surprised to see "veal" with the lighter flavor which is very delicate. The other items already add tenderness except, of course the bacon (which I would microwave half way to reduce fat, and the topping.

I taught Foods and Adv Foods.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@noodleann

I used the ground beef, pork and veal combination for years and it is good.  I couple of years ago I tried half ground beef/half ground lamb.  I have been using that ever since.  My goal is also sandwiches - they are the best.  

Honored Contributor

I have tried every suggestion here for keeping the meatloaf from falling apart except the kneading one. I will have to try that. I have used the beef, veal and pork mix but my husband doesn't care for it.