Frequent Contributor

How do you make a meatloaf to stay solid?  My meatloaf falls apart even if I put bread crumbs in it.  Thanks.

Super Contributor
  • How much liquid are you adding ?
  • And when you take it out of the oven are you letting it sit for a few minutes ?
  • pardon the bullet points--- not sure how I did that.
Super Contributor

If you need my Mom's 50 year old (and oh family tested and approved right down to the grandkids !!) give a holler !!!!

Trusted Contributor

@withaK wrote:

If you need my Mom's 50 year old (and oh family tested and approved right down to the grandkids !!) give a holler !!!!

Yes, I would love it please...

Honored Contributor

Do you add an egg?  The egg plus crumbs (I use oatmeal) are what hold it together. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I would love your recipes.

Super Contributor

Meat Loaf for Two (as per my Mom's scaled-down version)  ** preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground round beef

1 cup of bread crumbs (she usually used Italian)

2 eggs

1/2 cup ketchup

1 packet Lipton's Onion Soup Mix

Mix with a spoon and then knead by hand. Add a little water (no more than 1/4 cup and ONLY if you feel you need it).  Shape into a loaf in an oblong baking dish (pyrex, corning ware etc).

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours

***  a couple of variations -- use half of onion soup pack and half of meatloaf seasoning packet             -- in place of water use Worcestershire sauce.  A few veeeeeery generous shake/pours.

Its really good the night of, the day after on rye bread, cold off the plate ( my sister's choice from an 8 year old--lol) and reheated the next day.

Esteemed Contributor

@withaK wrote:

Meat Loaf for Two (as per my Mom's scaled-down version)  ** preheat oven to 350 degrees F

1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground round beef

1 cup of bread crumbs (she usually used Italian)

2 eggs

1/2 cup ketchup

1 packet Lipton's Onion Soup Mix

Mix with a spoon and then knead by hand. Add a little water (no more than 1/4 cup and ONLY if you feel you need it).  Shape into a loaf in an oblong baking dish (pyrex, corning ware etc).

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours

***  a couple of variations -- use half of onion soup pack and half of meatloaf seasoning packet             -- in place of water use Worcestershire sauce.  A few veeeeeery generous shake/pours.

Its really good the night of, the day after on rye bread, cold off the plate ( my sister's choice from an 8 year old--lol) and reheated the next day.

@withaK .....THANKS !! ... can't wait to try this!!

Honored Contributor

My mother made it with eggs, bread crumbs and ketchup was spread on the top.  

Respected Contributor

I use an egg and instead of breadcrumbs, I soak a couple of pcs of bread in milk. Then, I squeeze the milk out of bread. My meatloaf comes out solid and moist. I hope this helps.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.