Respected Contributor

I forgot, I use oatmeal sometimes. That also works and bulks it up. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Mine fall apart too.  Even when I chill it and reheat it, my meatloaf crumbles.

Esteemed Contributor

I use 2 eggs in a meatloaf & pack it down TIGHT in the loaf pan.

I let it cool before I slice it.

Super Contributor

Mary Beth Roe has a really good recipe online.  Its her Dad's.  I do omit the vegetable soup but it is really good..

Respected Contributor

It's your hamburger that you are buying...I would just bet you are using a 80/20 or less than that.   Upgrade to a 90/10, more meat, less fat, continue with your soaked bread or oatmeal, an egg, ketchup, salt/pepper and you should be good to go.

Overworking your meat causes your meat to get "tough", just mix until it's close to being blended.    Loaf pan, 350 deg about an hour.

Just my guess, hope that works.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

It's your hamburger that you are buying...I would just bet you are using a 80/20 or less than that.   Upgrade to a 90/10, more meat, less fat, continue with your soaked bread or oatmeal, an egg, ketchup, salt/pepper and you should be good to go.

Overworking your meat causes your meat to get "tough", just mix until it's close to being blended.    Loaf pan, 350 deg about an hour.

Just my guess, hope that works.

I think you are right!  I make meatloaf with very lean ground beef and mostly just plop in some thick picante sauce--it has all the spices, peppers, onions and tomato you need-- and mash it up and then put it in a loaf pan.  It works out fine and you can slice it cold. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like meatloaf that is moist & tender, so I only use 1 egg to about 2 - 2.5 lbs. of meat. Also, just a sprinkle of bread crumbs. My seasonings, along w/ celery & onion, and the liquid I add to the mixture is Worchestershire sauce, but a tablespoon or 2.

I think that's correct about the over-mixing (like in cake baking), and I just dump my meat mixture into a big roaster, and then form the loaf, put a ketchup topping on top, and all-importantly, let it rest for a good 15 minutes!

Valued Contributor

You have to keep patting it over and over in your hands to get all of the air pockets out.  Once it is made and before I put it in the pan, I just keep patting it and putting from one hand to the other for at least five minutes. 

Honored Contributor

Never done any other way than oatmeal.   Sometimes I divide in half and put a layer of cheddar cheese to bake in the middle to make it different.  So love meatloaf hot or cold has an entree or on has a sandwich.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@LOVEMYFURBABY  Welcome to Recipes.   It might be helpful to post your recipe or method.  Maybe someone could find the flaw in it.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.