Respected Contributor

Mary Berry's Chicken Malay Rice

A half-recipe of this dish makes 2 generous servings.  Leftovers (without the egg topping) reheat easily, then can be topped with a freshly fried egg.  Delicious!   

Mary Berry's Chicken Malay Rice

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, butterflied if thick, sliced into      strips  
salt & pepper
about 1 Tablespoon honey *
2 large onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 1/4 cups each cooked rice with peas, chilled
4 Tablespoons soy sauce
Fried egg, 1 per person

Season chicken, fry on high, add honey for color, don't over cook (about 1 min per side).  Remove to plate.

Fry onions, cover to partially steam.  Add red pepper, garlic, fry about 5 min.  Add mushrooms, spices, fry until mushrooms are brown.  

Add rice.  Add soy sauce, high heat, till crispy.  Add back chicken & juices to heat through.

Fry 1 egg per person for topping.

Mrs. G's notes:
For Hot Honey: Mix ½ cup honey with 2 teaspoons ground cayenne.  Cover and refrigerate unused portion for as long as necessary.  Honey does not spoil.

Sriracha is a good topping on the fried egg.

There is a cooking demonstration by Mary Berry on YouTube. 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Re: Mary Berry's Chicken Malay Rice

Sounds like my kind of dish. Thanks for posting
Honored Contributor

Sounds good!

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne  I had you in mind when I posted this one.  As per our recent exchange about not repeating dishes so often, it had been so long since I last made this one I had forgotten how much I like it.  It was a treat to have leftovers for a second dinner.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

I have already printed out the recipe and watched the demo.  I love curry so I am looking forward to trying it. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

I made the Chicken Malay Rice for lunch today.  I took your suggestion and only made 1/2 recipe.  It was delicious.  I topped it with an over easy egg drizzled with Sriracha.  Try balsamic glaze on over easy eggs - it is also good.  

Since the weather is predicted to get into the 80's today and I don't have AC my dinner will be a good cheese and some crackers!

Thanks for the recipe.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne   I sometimes wonder what 'happens to' recipes I post here, i.e., whether they get tried or ignored.  So, thank you for, first, trusting my recommendation, then secondly, for taking the time to say you enjoyed the meal.  It was good of you to let me know. 

I certainly will use the balsamic glaze you suggested.  --Mrs. G. 

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG I did not try many of your recipes because I cook for 1, but I remember them well and always looked forward to reading them and salivating!

Loved the way you would describe the whole meal and even which wine!