Honored Contributor

Re: Made a major change in the kitchen

No, I’m going to live until I die, and if I have a chance to eat cake, I’m eating cake.

I’m 62, and with what I see going on in this world around me everyday, I’m not wasting time thinking about changes I need to make in my life.   I’m good with how I live.  

Respected Contributor

I am retired & DH & I get some sweets from the bakery section of the grocery store. I love something sweet in the morning. I don't bake anymore. We try to keep something sweet but we don't over do it. Same with bread & rolls not everyday but a few times a week. 

Honored Contributor

Nope.  All things in moderation for us is our goal, although we do eat a lower fat diet than most people.  

Respected Contributor

Good for you!  Cool thing is, When you don’t eat sugar, you won’t crave it. It takes a day or two for the cravings to go away. Best wishes 💝👍🏼

Valued Contributor

Wow!  I'd salute you but I have a roll in my hand.    

I think that you have made a difficult but healthy decision and I hope you feel better having done it! 

Respected Contributor

I love to bake and always have. My husband has a sweet tooth and so do I. Now I am really good at not eating a lot of it but it is hard for my husband to resist. So my solution was to make the decision that I only bake a couple times a month in the Winter and in the Summer I only bake three times all Summer. It works great for us as we really do get a treat once in a while and I don't have to give us something I love doing.  I also bake at the holidays for other people so that helps too.

Super Contributor

What, may I ask, are dookie drawers?  Don't think we have them in NJ.

Honored Contributor

I would never do that.  I have celiac disease, but I have wheat flour as well as other types in my home.  I use flour for more than just baking goodies.  I actually cook with it.

i cook from scratch and don’t buy processed foods.  I use flour for making homemade pasta and noodles, dumplings, to thicken food and make a rue for many dishes.

i always have sugar in my house, but I don’t use it too often, but it is a staple.

i bake for other people, not just my DH.  I also would never throw out my baking pans.  I use them often and they were expensive.  They are staples in the kitchen too.

For me it would be silly to throw out good food and declare I am not baking or cooking any more.  I would never make a spur of the moment decision to ever do something like that.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie, please reread the post.  My mom had celiac disease so I understand that.  You may have missed a few things I said, from reading your post. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygalwrote:

I have decided not to do anymore baking, no more breads, cakes, brownies, etc.  So I pitched all the flour and sugars, etc.  He shouldn't eat the sugar and neither should I.  I got no uproar from him and I thought I would.  We just don't need it in our lives at this point.  I am so glad for this decision and that he didn't raise cain.  He has a real sweet tooth, but he knows that the sugary stuff has to be less.

Has anyone else done this major turn?  For me, it was major since I like to bake.

I'll bake meals, just not the sweets.

@qualitygal  Wow. That’s a biggie! I’ve been on a diabetic diet for 20 yrs. (don’t have it, but Dad did and Mom does, so better safe than sorry). I already eat very little sugar or foods w/ simple carbs. I love to bake, but have learned how to substitute Splenda. I still only eat a bite.