Esteemed Contributor

Iceberg, bless your heart. We should probably all research the convenience foods that we purchase for additives! On the other hand, I don't make Kraft macaroni and cheese every day or even weekly - more like once every two or three months, and I doubt it is the only convenience food that would fail the purity challenge! But thanks for the warning. I'll continue to buy Kraft mac & cheese as I have for the past 50 years!

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

My recipe for mac 'n cheese is very similar to @ECBG except that I grate a smidgen of nutmeg and add some dry mustard in my version,

@vabreeze,Our five year old named this recipe!  It's shockingly good!

Super Contributor

My neighbor makes great mac and cheese.  she uses lots of butter, all cracker barrel cheeses and a little milk.  The top is parm cheese, mrlted butter and bread crumbs.  Finally she bakes it for a bit.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese

[ Edited ]

I've always used the recipe on the back of the Muellers elbow macaroni package and it's easy and so much better than from the box.   Real homemade takes so little effort to make. 

This story was on the news the last 2 days and ppl were wondering if this also applies to other foods on the processed food aisle like hamburger helper, etc which all tend to use some form of powder mixed with water or milk. 

When dad was alive he had to watch his salt intake.  Was told to avoid canned veggies and anything out of a box from that processed food aisle.  You can make hamburger helper and most other of those meals using spices usually readily available from your pantry and it's better for you anyway.  I've made Shake n' Bake chicken and pork chops just by googling what's in the coating and replacing any ingredient with salt in title with the powder form (like garlic salt - using garlic powder) and still adding just a little salt and it's just as good and I don't drink water all day long from all the salt I've ingested when eating those. 

Respected Contributor

I guess U don't want 2 B informed anymore. It's called reading, which U didn't even bother to do with the link I attached or at least Googled phthalates. Phthalates R Not Additives. They mainly effect younger women in reproduction age, which I assume excludes U and young children. Bless your little heart!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Thanks so much.  I will try this one out.  But just me... hubby will not eat MAC and Cheese.  I should have asked him his preferences before I married him.... 51 years ago.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

@ECBG  Thanks so much.  I will try this one out.  But just me... hubby will not eat MAC and Cheese.  I should have asked him his preferences before I married him.... 51 years ago.  LOL

@bonnielu,You could do 1/2 of the recipe that makes a 9 x 9 and cook it in a glass loaf pan or smaller corningware type dish.  Believe me, you'll want it for several evenings!Smiley Happy