Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese? I should know this....

@sweetee2 wrote:

I've never made home made.  I just use the Kraft Mac and cheese.  I know you are all thinking,  additives,  fake cheese. But the gk love it and it's quick. I add a little more butter and milk. For  an fast easy I add a can of chili. When I make this I have to double the amount. It gone to fast.

It would be great for 2 people.

Who doesn't 

Contributor

I love baked mac & cheese.  All the recipes I have make a 13 x 9 inch pan of mac & cheese.  Trader Joe's sells a yummy mac & cheese in the frozen section which is a perfect amount for 2 people.  It's their Joe's Diner Mac & Cheese.  So good!

Honored Contributor

I have always loved mac and cheese, and it is one of the very few ways I will actually eat cheese.   I like it best with Colby cheese and some butter stirred together in the pot with the hot macaroni, so that the texture is soft and stringy.   

My family likes baked mac and cheese because they want the solid texture of a baked product.  Make a white sauce, add your choice of grated cheese, stir in hot macaroni, pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish, cover with more grated cheese and bake till bubbly and brown.   I only bake for 30 minutes at 375 to get the texture my family likes; my grandmother baked 45 - 60 minutes to get a drier texture when cut into squares.    

Honored Contributor

I don't eat it that often, but when I do make it I just make a two-serving, top of the stove, macaroni (or I also like rotini) and cheese.

I don't use a recipe, however.  I just make it.   It's very easy to do, using the ingredients and spices you enjoy.   I don't put cayenne in mine, as some might, because there is no flavor - just hot.  I use a little chili powder instead because it actually gives some flavor and not so much 'hot'.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@membersinceCVN

Oh, I'm with you on that.  When I'm craving Mac and Cheese, I go to Traders and buy theirs.  It's soo good! 

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Ever since I tried David Venable's Mac n Cheese (with bacon 😍), I haven't made it any other way.  It's baked and never dry.  I think the can of cream of cheddar soup keeps it moist.

@wildcat fan, can you post the recipe?  I looked on Google, but can't find his recipe with cream of cheddar soup. Or, post a link?

TIA

Honored Contributor

love the recipe that is inside the box of velveeta......it is the best one and you can tweek it any way you like. it is baked and always moist. love cutting back a bit on the velveeta and adding in different types of cheese......and then topping it with parmesan or asiago, along with the cracker crumbs.

if i do buy frozen, then stouffers or schwans are the best.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I've never made home made.  I just use the Kraft Mac and cheese.  I know you are all thinking,  additives,  fake cheese. But the gk love it and it's quick. I add a little more butter and milk. For  an fast easy I add a can of chili. When I make this I have to double the amount. It gone to fast.

It would be great for 2 people.

Hahaha. I'm not thinking that. I LOVE Kraft Mac and Cheese. Smiley Happy Sometimes I buy the large Kraft Mac and Cheese, throw out the pasta, and use the cheese sauce over better pasta. Smiley Wink

I've never tried mixing chili in, but I have mixed tuna in.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat, I recommend for 2, Kraft, in the box, the original Mac & Cheese, simple.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm not a huge fan, so I've only made it a handful of times.  I've baked it each time, but it seems to get dry that way.

Is it traditional to bake it or serve it out of the pot?

Also, does anyone have a recipe for a small batch? Two people?

DH loves it, but never eats the leftovers.

Thank you.

Hi @house_cat,

I'll post the mac. and cheese recipe that I make from Kraft's website for you.

It makes a smaller amount, but it's still a large enough amount. 

You start it in a pot by making a roux with milk and butter, and then you bake it in the oven to finish it. 

You use Velveeta and Cheddar in it, and I use skim milk and low-fat Velveeta to cut down on the fat in it a bit. It still turns out good and tastes good this way, too. 

I've also used crushed plain Saltine crackers in place of the Ritz crackers on the top of the casserole when I didn't have any Ritz, and it turned out just fine. 

You could also tweak it however you like and also use margarine if you want to, and even lower-fat Cheddar if you wanted to reduce the fat even more. It's all up to you.

Here is the recipe from Kraftrecipes:

Velveeta Down Home Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup butter, divided

• 1/4 cup flour

• 1 cup milk

• 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

• 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked

• 1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

• 6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup)

Make It:

• Heat oven to 350°F.
  • Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Add VELVEETA; cook 3 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni.
  • Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
  • Bake 20 min. or until heated through.