Honored Contributor

Mac and Cheese? I should know this....

I'm not a huge fan, so I've only made it a handful of times.  I've baked it each time, but it seems to get dry that way.

Is it traditional to bake it or serve it out of the pot?

Also, does anyone have a recipe for a small batch? Two people?

DH loves it, but never eats the leftovers.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Mac and Cheese? I should know this....

I'm a fan and I always bake it, because I like the crusty top. It's just a matter of taste. Great, now I want Mac and 🧀.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

If it's dry then either you have too high a ratio of pasta to sauce or you cooked it too long. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Honestly, I think for a meal for two people or to use it as a side with something like a pork chop I just get the Stouffers frozen mac & ch. I only make it from scratch when it is for more people.

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since I tried David Venable's Mac n Cheese (with bacon 😍), I haven't made it any other way.  It's baked and never dry.  I think the can of cream of cheddar soup keeps it moist.

Honored Contributor

@151949

I've made Stouffer's and he likes it very much. I guess homemade isn't always the best option.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

@mtc

posted this sight once and this stuff is amazing. You can change it up with velvetta or any other cheese. As it simmers see if it needs more water and just add tbs. . Easy quick and a fav with people I have made it for.  If you want it fancy put on butter bread crumbs and broil, nuwave or air fry till crumbs turn brown.

3-Ingredient One-Pot Mac and Cheese

Ingredients
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 lb uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
Directions
In 5-quart nonstick Dutch oven, heat evaporated milk, 4 cups hot water, macaroni and salt to taste to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 8 minutes, stirring frequently; do not drain.
Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.

Trusted Contributor

I've never made home made.  I just use the Kraft Mac and cheese.  I know you are all thinking,  additives,  fake cheese. But the gk love it and it's quick. I add a little more butter and milk. For  an fast easy I add a can of chili. When I make this I have to double the amount. It gone to fast.

It would be great for 2 people.

Honored Contributor

When I get a craving for mac & cheese, all I need to get over it is look up a recipe.  It has so many yummy but unhealthy ingredients - total turn-off.  I will sometimes (once or twice a year) buy a small frozen M&C - better than making a whole batch.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check out this thread here in Recipes "rescipie" and it has a couple of recipes.  

If you don't have a rice cooker just cook it slowly on the stove top.