1/4 cup butter
1 onion – small
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth - or vegetable
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheese of choice - assume 4 ozs. equals 1 cup if not shredded cheese

Instructions

Rinse and spoon size chop one head of fresh broccoli.  This should be about two cups.

Mince a small or 1/2 of a medium onion. Over medium-high heat melt four tablespoons butter. Add onion and cook until clearing. About 3 minutes. Add one clove minced garlic, and cook one more minute.

Decrease the heat to medium. Add 1/4 cup flour, continue to cook, and stir continually until browning some. About 3 minutes.

Slowly add two cups of chicken or vegetable broth continuing to stir. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Allow to thicken some then add two cups of milk. Bring to a boil and allow to thicken.

Add broccoli, cover and turn down the heat to simmer. Simmer until broccoli is tender. About 25 minutes.

Add two cups of cheese of choice.

Simmer another 5 minutes and serve.

Pro Tips:

1. Choose the cheeses you like.
  2. Frozen broccoli works fine but may take a few minutes longer. Cook to the point of the broccoli is tender.
  3. If you want to copycat Panera, then add 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots and 1 stalk thinly sliced celery at the same time as the broccoli.
  4. Make it Bacon Broccoli Cheese Soup. Everything is better with bacon. Chop 3 strips of bacon into 1/2 inch squares and fry until done. Drain and add along with the cheese.
  5. Great as leftovers. Good refrigerated for 3-4 days and frozen for 3-4 months.

Next ingredient:  Coconut milk

Honored Contributor

Vegetable curry

46E3EF83-1432-45A0-8048-A96954399887.jpeg

Vegetable curry recipe with coconut milk, pineapple, and chickpeas (or beans)! This healthy comfort meal is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, easy to make and can be also prepared in a slow cooker.

Course Main Course
Cuisine Indian
Keyword curry, vegan, vegetables

Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups pineapple small chunks (250 g)
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas or beans of choice (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 medium-sized carrot diced
  • 1 small eggplant (cut into small cubes)
  • 1 small zucchini diced
  • 1/2 pepper diced
  • 1/2 big onion diced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk (regular or light)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder (use less for a less spicy curry)
  • 1-2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1-2 tsp cornstarch or tapioca flour (to thicken)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cooked rice of choice (I prefer Basmati or Jasmine rice)
  • coriander for serving
Instructions
  • Chop the veggies + onion and put everything in a large pan or pot with a little bit oil and fry on medium heat for about 8-9 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Stir frequently.
  • Drain and rinse chickpeas (or beans of choice) and add them to the pan together with the pineapple chunks.
  • Add coconut milk, all spices + salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes or longer (for a thicker curry). You can also add 1-2 tsp of cornstarch (mix it with some coconut milk before you add it) to make the curry sauce even thicker.
  • Serve the curry with cooked rice of choice or potatoes. Garnish with fresh coriander. Enjoy!
Notes
  • Read the text in the blog post to find out how to prepare the curry in a slow cooker.
  • Recipe serves two persons. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Nutrition Facts
Vegetable curry

Amount Per Serving
Calories 414Calories from Fat 101

% Daily Value*
Fat 11.2g17%
Saturated Fat 5.2g26%
Carbohydrates 53g18%
Fiber 19.2g77%
Sugar 30g33%
Protein 13.3g27%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Nutrition

Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 13.3g | Fat: 11.2g | Saturated Fat: 5.2g | Fiber: 19.2g | Sugar: 30g

Next Ingredient: PARSNIPS
Frequent Contributor

Maple Parsnip Scones

Received 2 ***** reviews from bakers

This recipe came to me in an e-mail from King Arthur Flower this morning (3-15-2020) and I have adapted it to this:

Recipe adapted from Posie at King Arthur Flour

(The Baked Goods You Should be Making)

Sunday Recipe Inspiration Batch 329

Ingredients:

Parsnips

2 cups peeled, grated parsnips

3 Tablespoons maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or cardamom

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Dough

3 3/4 cups Unbleached all purpose flour divided

1/2 cup sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

18 tablespoons (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) cold butter cut into           1"cubes

1 1/4 to 1/1/2 cups cold, well shaken buttermilk, divided

Egg wash

1 large egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water

Glaze

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter

2  Tablespoons maple syrup

4  teaspoons honey

1/2 teaspoons salt

Instructions:

To prepare the parsnips: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Spread grated parsnips on the baking sheet and drizzle with syrup and sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, stirring once after 9 minutes, until soft and slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.

In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon, allspice or cardamom, and black pepper.  Sprinkle over the roasted parsnips. Set them aside to cool while you make the dough.

To make the dough:

Place 3 cups of the flour in the bowl of a food processor with the sugar,baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add the butter and pulse until pea-sized. If you don't have a food processor, work the ingredients together using your fingers or a stand mixer. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.

Sprinkle the remaining flour over the cooled parsnips on the baking sheet and scrape them into the mixing bowl. Stir to distribute them evenly.

Pour 3/4 cup of the buttermilk over the dry ingredients,tossing it gently with a spatula or your hands to incorporate it.  Repeat with another 1/2 buttermilk. The mixture should feel damp and hold together when lightly squeezed; it will probably still look somewhat crumbly.  If it's very dry, add the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk.

Transfer the dough to a floured piece of parchment. Use the parchment to fold the dough over on itself until it becomes more uniform.  A bench knife or dough scraper is handy here, to scoop up the crumbly parts and bring them to the top of the pile.

Divide the dough in half.  Pat each half with floured hands into a disk about 8" in diameter. Divide each disk into 8 wedges. Transfer them to a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 1" of space between them.

Place the cut scones in the freezer for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and bake for 20 too 23 minutes, until the tips and sides are golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

To make the glaze

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook the butter until it separates and the solids begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Strain into a heatproof bowl. Add the syrup, honey, and salt, whisking until smooth,

To finish

Generously brush the scones with the warm glaze before                serving.

Store in an airtight container on the counter for 2 days; freeze for longer storage.

Personal Note:

I love parsnips and have always prepared them peeled, cut into matchsticks about 1/4" thick and fried in butter 'til browned and seasoned with salt and pepper. Keeping the lid on the pan while frying will enable them to soften and by tossing in 1/4 cup water and replacing the lid, they will finish to done. Enjoy Parsnips!

Next Ingredient: Pepper, any kind

Honored Contributor

1920712 ..... Question.....I was about to post a recipe using Pepper as a seasoning and then wondered....maybe you meant Pepper as in vegetable...Green, Red, etc?  Which would it be?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@1920712 

See previous post question please.

Frequent Contributor

@butterfly123, @walker   Either, or all, whatever you'd like would be fine. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Thanks...1920712......I'll take seasoning....

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwich

2-3 lb. beef bottom round or eye of round roast

1 (32 oz) box beef broth

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black PEPPER

1teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 pkg. Italian salad dressing mix

Place beef in a slow cooker, fat side up.  Pour broth into a medium saucepan and add all the other ingredients.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Pour broth mixture over the roast.  Cover and cook on high 8-10 hours.  If possible, turn roast after 5-6 hours.

Before serving, flip roast over again and scrape off any visible fat.  Remove the roast from slow cooker, place in large bowl and using two forks shred the roast.  Return the beef back to the broth in slow cooker.  Serve on Italian rolls with PEPPERS, if desired.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... GREEN, RED, YELLOW, ORANGE

PEPPERS...your choice

Frequent Contributor

@walker  Your recipe sounds so good. I'm so sorry if I've offended you. I promise that I'll not stay signed in while I'm not at the computer. Lesson learned. Please excuse my inattention. I'll do better in the future, I hope.

Frequent Contributor

@butterfly123  Thank you so much for your help.

Honored Contributor

1920712......OH MY....thank you for nice note but I was not offended at all!  Just wanted to check on type of pepper.  Then...in fairness...chose the vegetable peppers as next ingredient.  Don't go away ..... no problem here!!!  

NEXT INGREDIENT .... PEPPERS, GREEN, RED, etc.