Honored Contributor

Well may I be the first to wish a Top 'O the Month of March to one and all!  Wow, can spring be far behind?  Let us share our ideas for not only the upcoming St. Patrick Day festivities but also maybe lighter recipes in anticipation for warmer temperatures (hey, a girl can dream can't she?)  . . . Heart

HOW TO PLAY.......
The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).
Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.
Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient. Good recipes and lots of fun!!
Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. Thanks to @GenXmuse  (thank you and gosh that looks good!) who gave us our next ingredient:

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
  • 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple or unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
  • 1/4 cup salsa verde
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
  • Chopped fresh cilantro
  • Chopped macadamia nuts, optional

Directions

• 1. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oils over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, pepper and gingerroot; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add water. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • 2. Stir in next 5 ingredients; cook and stir over medium-high heat until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top servings with cilantro and, if desired, chopped macadamia nuts

Next Ingredient: BLACK BEANS 

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

It's not March until tomorrow, this is a leap year, it's April 29th!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Oh I know @KingstonsMom  but I open the next month's thread as time allows.  Folks can keep posting on the February thread through today and don't have to wait for me if I get hung up tomorrow for some reason.

Respected Contributor

Re: MARCH 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom It better not be April yet.  I haven't done a thing to prepare for spring Woman Wink.  

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

I gotcha'!

DD had to remind me this morning when I mentioned today being March 1st, LOL!

Now that I'm retired, I can hardly keep up with what day of the week it is, much less what month it is!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Hee I hear ya @KingstonsMom !  I was going grocery shopping earlier today when the radio station reminded me it's Leap Day!

@BlueFinch  and no thank goodness it is not April and if Spring preparations include anything outdoors I would highly recommend not getting between me and the door as I am running away as fast as I can!

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe @KingstonsMom We're going into the third month of this NY and I keep forgetting it's 2020. How did that happen so fast?  Years, months, dates and times become irrelevant when no longer working.  

To make this post, thread relevant, I look forward to viewing the March 2020 recipe game Woman Happy.  

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe   Thank you for your dedication for initiating the monthly recipe game.  Love all the ideas and inspiration we share here in this spot.

As a gentle suggestion to folks who are commenting on a recipe, which is wonderful, please remember to relist the "next ingredient" request from the last recipe provider, so we don't have to scroll back.  I know I've been guilty of forgetting to do this, too.

Cuban BLACK BEANS and Rice

My own recipe tweaked from several sources including work friends over three decades

1 pound dried black beans soaked overnight or 4 15 oz. cans drained and rinsed

3 cloves garlic

4 bay leaves--reserve 2

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

1 red or green pepper, seeded and diced

Another 2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 Tbsp Kosher salt

1 Tbsp cumin

1 Tbsp dried oregano

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp ground white pepper

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 cups uncooked long grain rice

4 cups chicken broth

Drain soaked beans, then cover with fresh water (inch or two above level of beans) and cook with 2 bay leaves and the 3 whole cloves of garlic by bringing the pot to a boil and then simmer for 90 minutes up to two hours.  Do not add any salt.

Heat the olive oil in a large vessel and saute the onions, pepper, and minced garlic.  Remove these and set aside.  Add the rice and saute to slightly brown.  Add the sauteed vegetables, beans, the seasonings listed, and the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, cover tightly and simmer on low heat until the liquid is fully absorbed--about 20 to 25 minutes.

Garnish servings with lime wedges and cilantro.

Notes:  Excellent as a side dish for Cuban roast pork loin or Cuban Mojo chicken, cooked chorico, or cooked shrimp.  

If you have the time using the overnight soaked beans provides the best result for this dish.  aroc3435

Next Ingredient:  POSTER'S FAVORITE SEAFOOD OR SHELLFISH

Respected Contributor

Re: MARCH 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe  😘

Sorry Guys

NEXT INGREDIENT:     POSTER'S FAVORITE SEAFOOD  OR SHELLFISH

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

CRAB-Stuffed Flounder

6 tablespoons butter, divided

1 celery stalk, finely chopped

1 small onion, finely chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 can CRABmeat, drained and flaked

1/2 cup plain bread crumbs

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon pepper

6 flounder fillets

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.  Add the celery, onion and parsley, and saute for 5-6 minutes, or until celery and onion are tender.

Remove from the heat and stir in CRABmeat, bread crumbs, lemon juice, and pepper.  Spoon evenly over the fillets then, starting from small end, roll up each fillet jelly-roll style, and place the flounder rolls seam-side down in the baking dish.

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and drizzle over the fillets; sprinkle tops with paprika.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BREAD