Respected Contributor

MAPLE ACORN SQUASH--4 servings

[ Edited ]

Found some big  beautiful acorn squash at the grocery store and tried it a slightly different way for us.  It was easy and good.  

--1 medium acorn squash (about 1.5 to 2 pounds)

--1/4 cup maple syrup (I use real maple syrup, not the flavored stuff and substituted just a small bit of brown sugar for some of that maple syrup)

--2 tablespoons butter, melted

--1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Some folks  might want to use nutmeg instead and, optionally, add some finely shredded orange peel)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds.

Arrange squash cut sides down in 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

Bake uncovered 45 minutes, then turn squash cut sides up.

Stir together the syrup, butter and remaining ingredients and pour into squash centers.

Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until tender.

Remove from oven, cut squash halves in half,  baste or spoon sauce over them and serve.

Honored Contributor

Re: MAPLE ACORN SQUASH--4 servings

I've found that acorn squash do very well when cooked in the microwave and cook much faster.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most vegetables do well in a microwave, if you don't want the longer cooking to caramelize the sweet ingredients and any natural sugars in the food.  Butter and syrup would probably create a real mess in the microwave.

Besides, the  weather was frigid that day, the house was cold ,and because I have a huge oven in a relatively downsized house, it saved the furnace a little bit of work while the squash was cooking.  LOL!

Honored Contributor

We've been enjoying sqaushes too - hubbard, delicata, butternut, acorn, spaghetti to name a few. More to go too, need to try a turban for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

novamc, I also prefer doing the acorn squash in the oven.  We have an open concept home & the oven does wonders.  I bought an acorn squash this morning.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1

Maybe i’ll give  acorn squash another try.  Nothing compares to real maple syrup.

Looks like an easy recipe to reduce in size too. 

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I love acorn squash, although I've never tried it with maple syrup....I'll have to try it. My usual method is to use butter and brown sugar mixed together in the hot squash when it's finished cooking. I normally use the microwave - it's just quicker. Thanks for the maple syrup suggestion.

Trusted Contributor

This sounds so verry yummy.
Honored Contributor

I use a squash called Delicata the same way. it is my favorite and fix it often.