Respected Contributor

Re: Looking For A New And Light App For Thanksgiving

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Etoile308  Good one!   Seriously--I am not Sam Sifton of New York Times fame, who wrote Thanksgiving--How to Cook It Well.Smiley Happy

I just happen to really enjoy cooking so peeling the mashers isn't really a chore to me--it just gives S.O. something to do.  Used to have my son and daughter do it until they caught on sometime in their teens.

I think it is fine to follow your own lights when cooking for oneself or for others.  

The main thing is to make everyone feel happy they came if you are fortunate enough to have company.  The menu is part of it, but only part of it.  

I'd rather have a good Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich with good people than the most elegant food in the company of social boors.

The food each family has is traditional but with age comes change.  I remember quite well the year my Mom passed the torch to me to do all the holiday meals, having never believed she would.

Heck, there might come a time when a deli roasted turkey sandwich with a slice of canned cranberry on a Hawaiian hamburger bun might fill the bill for me on the day.

By the by, I've read that Bob Evans must be good stuff and I notice it always sell out around the holidays, when I have a coupon for it and never get to use it, the supply has gone missing from the store.

I hope you, and all of us, will be able to enjoy the day in whatever way we choose, free of hassles or guilt.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

When I used to do Thanksgiving for more than just the two of us, I started buying BobEvans mashed potatoes.  I'd add  S&P, butter and cream.   "Doctored" up they tasted great.  And so quick and easy.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're familiar with the little jars of Kraft Old English or Pimento cheeses, a simple nonmessy  thing to serve on a tray would be any type of cracker (such as Triscuit) topped with a small dab of  one of those spreads.

Then top each with  a slice of olive, or a piece of pimento.

Kraft Old English Cheese Spread - 5 Oz

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Other ideas........

Get some cute toothpicks and skewer a small red tomato, a basil leaf and a cube of mozzarella cheese.

Spread a cracker with an herb spread found in the grocery store deli department (Boursin or another brand) and top with a tiny tomato and basil leaf.

Esteemed Contributor

Families are so different!  We are required to do a hardcore fast before the big meal 🦃

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Other ideas........

Get some cute toothpicks and skewer a small red tomato, a basil leaf and a cube of mozzarella cheese.

Spread a cracker with an herb spread found in the grocery store deli department (Boursin or another brand) and top with a tiny tomato and basil leaf.

I love the tomato, basil, mozz toothpick app! I have done this in the past with a spritz of red wine vinegar and oil dressing. Best thing is, the grandkids can help! Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions. I'm ready to go!