Esteemed Contributor

Lobster Tail Cooking Suggestions

Right now, I am thawing a few lobster tails for dinner tomorrow.  The last time that I cooked a few, I just was not happy with them.  I really don't remember what I did, but I hope that some of you have some easy and delicious tricks to cook them.  TIA!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lobster Tail Cooking Suggestions

BUTTER POACHED LOBSTERS  (2 -3 small tails)

To prepare the butter, put an ounce of water in a sauce pan.  Cut a stick of butter into big chunks. 

Put the pot over medium heat.  When the water is hot, add a chunk of butter and begin whisking the water and shaking the pan.  The butter will emulsify into the water.  Keep adding chunks and whisking continuously until all the butter is melted.  Remove from the heat, cover and keep in a warm spot till ready to use.

To cook the lobster, heat the butter (I like it to be 150 degrees, which I check with a thermometer, but if you don't have one, use your finger—the butter should be hot but not boiling or it will break and overcook the lobster). 
Drop your lobster and let it sit in the butter for about ten minutes.  If the butter is between 140 and 150 you can leave it in there for a 20 minutes or longer (it will stay warm but won't over cook).

Finish your sauce with a little of the poaching butter, or, to make it easy, simply use the poaching butter as your sauce and serve with lemon wedges.

There truly is no better lobster than lobster poached in butter.

Butter Poached Maine Lobster Tails Recipe

Recipe by: lobsterfrommaine.com

2 Servings

Ingredients:

3 large lobster tails cut in ½ in the shell
1.5 stick of butter, melted
Herbs of your choice: tarragon, dill, parsley, cilantro, basil or a mixture of all

Directions:

Step 1.
In a skillet melt the butter on low heat.
Once melted add the tails flesh side down and cook on low heat spooning butter over the shell once in a while for about 10-15 minutes.

Step 2.
Turn the tail on shell side and continue basting. The tails are ready when the shells are bright red and the lobster meat is firm and opaque.

Step 3.
Serve directly from the pan with lemon wedges, herbs and crusty bread.

Note: You can also take the tails out of the shells. Turn the heat to medium high and deglaze the pan with 1 cup of wine, heavy cream or stock to create a thick sauce, return the tail to the pan and serve.

Rnjoy!

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

My paramour cooks lobsters in beer & some type "spicy" seasoning.

He uses "fresh" lobsters.  Matter of fact, he never freezes shellfish.

I don't know how they do it but Ga is known for their "fried lobsters."  ❤️❤️❤️

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

If you are going to boil the tails vs. cooked in butter:

Bring the water to a rolling boil, and put in lobsters, one at a time. Bring water to a rolling boil over high heat. Place lobsters in the pot (head first), cover tightly, return to a boil as quickly as possible and start counting the time. Steam a lobster for 7 minutes per pound, for the first pound.

Or Google.

Honored Contributor

I poach them in water.  

Regular Contributor

I take mine out of the shells, place them back on top, brush with butter, season and broil them. It only takes a few minutes and you need to watch so you don't over cook. This is how most restaurants do them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@susielong wrote:

I take mine out of the shells, place them back on top, brush with butter, season and broil them. It only takes a few minutes and you need to watch so you don't over cook. This is how most restaurants do them. 

@susielong  and @SXMGirl  This is the way to do it. 

Respected Contributor

Keep them on the rest of the lobster and boil the whole thing. So much more fun to eat.

The butter method for the tails sounds yummy.

I don't think I'd put exposed lobster to cook in water.  I think all the flavor would leak out into the water and you'd have a bland, rubbery,  piece of meat.

P.S. if boiling a whole lobster be ready to get a little messy.  to get the tail meat out you DON"T have to cut down the length of the tail.  Just break the tail from the body. break off the little tail fins and Push the tail meat out with your finger from the tail end towards the larger end. Comes out in one piece. and don't forget the little teasure bites inside the tail fins and the small legs too!

Honored Contributor

I was so afraid to cook the last tails I bought that they dried out before I dared.  End of problem, pitched them.  I do remember cooking them years ago, they were just OK.  I don't know where this fear of failure trait came from, its not like I'm on TV.