Respected Contributor

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with blueberry compote

My favorite brunch spot stopped serving brunch during the pandemic and has never resumed it.  I loved their lemon ricotta pancakes and have not been able to find a place that makes them the same way so I decided to make them myself.  They turned out just like the ones at my favorite brunch spot served with blueberry compote and lemon curd.  I made the blueberry compote by heating 2 cups of frozen blueberries with 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water.  When it started to boil over low heat I added a slurry of lemon juice and corn starch and let it thicken.  I bought the lemon curd.  

Ingredients
          1 1/2 cups (214g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
  • 3 1/2 Tbsp (46g) granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup (236ml) milk
  • 3/4 cup (180g) ricotta (low-fat or whole)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp lemon zest (depending on how lemony you want them)
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp (14g) butter, melted

Instructions
  • Preheat an electric griddle to moderately-high heat (or us a non-stick skillet set over medium heat).
  • In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds.
  • Make a well in center of flour mixture and set aside. 
  • In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, ricotta, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
  • Add butter, lemon zest and lemon juice to milk mixture and blend until combined (it will curdle a little, that's fine).
  • Immediately pour milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk just to combined (batter should be slightly lumpy). 
  • Pour 1/3 cup batter onto buttered griddle or skillet and cook until bubbles begin to appear on surface and bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown. 
  • Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar if desired and drizzled with maple or berry syrup.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with blueberry compote

These sound sooooo delicious!  Can't wait to try!

Respected Contributor

Re: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with blueberry compote

@ninjawife  You brought up a terrific taste memory with this post.  It has been many years since I last made Ricotta Pancakes, but the wonderful taste memory lingers.  Thank you for reminding me, they could show up on a dinner menu soon.  Woman Happy

BTW, have you ever made ricotta from scratch?  These pancakes would be a good application, I think.  "Whistle" if you want to see the instructions. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.