Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Sautéed Apples

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife,  I didn't think this recipe met the rules of the game, so did not post it there.  Lemon curd is good on these pancakes, but is not in them.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Sautéed Apples

For the sautéed apples
4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
fresh lemon juice to taste

For the pancakes
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups ricotta
1 ½ Tablespoons sugar
1 ½ Tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest*
½ cup all-purpose flour
melted butter for brushing griddle

Prepare the sautéed apples:
In a large heavy skillet sauté the apples in the butter over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until they are softened. Sprinkle them with the sugar and the cinnamon, and cook them over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to minutes, or until they are tender. Stir in the lemon juice and keep the mixture warm.

To make the pancakes:
In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, ricotta, sugar and the zest. Add the flour and stir the mixture until it is just combined. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks. Whisk about 1/4 of them into the ricotta mixture, then fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Heat a griddle over moderately high heat until it is hot enough to make drops of water scatter over its surface. Brush it with some of the melted butter.

Working in batches, pour the batter onto the griddle by 1/4-cup measures and cook the pancakes 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, brushing the griddle with some of the melted butter as necessary.

Transfer the pancakes as they cook to a heat-proof platter and keep warm in a preheated 200º oven. Serve with the sautéed apples and maple syrup.

Makes about twelve 3 to 4 inch pancakes.

Mrs G’s notes:
*Re lemon zest: Or more. Don’t skimp!
1. Maple syrup is good, but topping with lemon curd and/or confectioners’ sugar is, too.
2. We like sausage links in our apples.

Edited to correct a typo. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Sautéed Apples

Oh boy! OH BOY!

Thank you @IamMrsG

These sound absolutely fantastic!  I have never made pancakes with ricotta before!

I bet the lemon curd would be delicious on top of these!

Thank you so much for your kindness in posting this!!  How very thoughtful!

YUMMY!

Respected Contributor

You're welcome @RespectLife.  One footnote I probably should have added is that these are delicate, so be patient before flipping (allowing them to firm up a bit), then do so carefully.  Also, as far as I am concerned you cannot put too much zest in these.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

Great tips, Mrs. G

Thanks!