Honored Contributor

In my experience, I've never had one better than Edwards.

Image result for edwards lemon meringue pie

Honored Contributor

My great-aunt made the best lemon meringue pie I have ever had (using the lemons that grew in her backyard) but she would not share her recipe with anyone.   

Esteemed Contributor

If you use a premade graham cracker crust, you must cool the lemon pie filling before you put it in the crust. Otherwise, the crust will turn to mush and fall apart. 

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

If you use a premade graham cracker crust, you must cool the lemon pie filling before you put it in the crust. Otherwise, the crust will turn to mush and fall apart. 

Good advice, I always use a standard pastry crust.    

Trusted Contributor

Sounds to me like we are talking about two different kinds of lemon pies.

Lemon Meringue Pie is a cooked, tart, lemon-curd type pie which always has a baked pastry crust and is topped with a baked meringue.  Lemon Icebox Pie is the classic uncooked pie made with sweetened condensed milk. It's usually made in a crumb crust and topped with whipped cream and not meringue.

Having said that, I noticed last year that both Chick-fil-A and Georgia's Bulloch House had a "Lemon Meringue Pie" on their menu which was the sweetened condensed milk pie.  Sounds like "Pie Times They Are A-Changin'" ????? 

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

Sounds to me like we are talking about two different kinds of lemon pies.

Lemon Meringue Pie is a cooked, tart, lemon-curd type pie which always has a baked pastry crust and is topped with a baked meringue.  Lemon Icebox Pie is the classic uncooked pie made with sweetened condensed milk. It's usually made in a crumb crust and topped with whipped cream and not meringue.

Having said that, I noticed last year that both Chick-fil-A and Georgia's Bulloch House had a "Lemon Meringue Pie" on their menu which was the sweetened condensed milk pie.  Sounds like "Pie Times They Are A-Changin'" ????? 

@Honeybit The difference took place in about the 60's.  The one made with sweetened condensed milk was the beginning of cooking short cuts, actually.

Honored Contributor

This is what I grew up with, except real whipped cream on top:

Ingredients

3 large egg yolks

1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk

1/2 cup lemon juice

1 (6 oz.) prepared graham cracker crust

Frozen whipped topping, thawed or whipped cream

grated lemon peel

Prep:
15Min.
Yield:
8 to 10servings

Cook:35Min. Calories:350/serv

HEAT oven to 325°F. Beat egg yolks in medium bowl with mixer. Add sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice until well mixed. Pour into crust.

BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Remove from oven. Cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours.

SPREAD whipped topping or whipped cream over pie before serving. Garnish with lemon peel, if desired.

For 9 oz. Extra Large Crust or Homemade 9-inch Crust

PREPARE according to recipe directions using 5 egg yolks, 2 (14 oz.) cans Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk and 1 cup lemon juice. Bake according to recipe directions.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

I have a suggestion for you.   The next time you make a lemon meringue pie substitute the water with milk.   That one change makes a wonderful creamy filling instead of a shiny 'slick' filling.  Way better IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@deepwaterdotter 

I have a suggestion for you.   The next time you make a lemon meringue pie substitute the water with milk.   That one change makes a wonderful creamy filling instead of a shiny 'slick' filling.  Way better IMO.

Thanks, sounds good.  My Mom always used water, but I'll substitute milk next time.

Trusted Contributor

you  may want to try a crust made from saltine crackers.youdohave to add a bit more butter to the crumb mixture, but it is really good.