Super Contributor

Lemon Curd Coils - help needed

I want to make these cookies for the first time for Easter, but I do not understand the part of the directions that I have highlighted in bold print (particularly the 'building up two layers"). I double checked and this is exactly as the recipe appeared in the newspaper.

Does anyone have a clue how these cookies are actually formed, and can you word it in an easy way?

Lemon Curd Coils

For cookies:
1/2 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 c sugar
2 T beaten egg, plus extra if needed
1 t lemon juice, plus extra if needed
1 c flour
1/4 t salt

For lemon curd:
1 egg
1/4 c sugar
1/4 melted unsalted butter
8 t freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 t freshly grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt

To prepare cookies: Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheets with
parchment paper. In a bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter
and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and lemon juice and mix
until thoroughly combined. Reduce speed to low, add flour and salt and mix until
incorporated (if dough is too stiff to pipe, add an additional 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice or beaten egg). Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a #21 round tip.

On prepared baking sheets, press dough into a 1-inch wide coil, building up two layers of dough. Repeat with remaining dough, placing cookies 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are set but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes.

Remove from oven and quickly make indentations in centers of cookies with the
end of a wooden spoon. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer
cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

To prepare lemon curd: In a double boiler over gently simmering water, combine egg and sugar, whisking continually. Add butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and continue whisking until curd is thickened and has reached 160 degrees. Remove from heat. Using a small spoon, fill centers of cookies with lemon curd. Cover and
refrigerate up to 1 week.

Makes about 1 dozen cookies.

Note: they taste just like lemon bars, but without the mess."