Honored Contributor

I was wondering if anyone had a great recipe...preferably authentic with some heat..I am buying it in stores but not as good as a Korean friend used to make.I know it smells bad while it’s fermenting but it is so good for you and really delicious.I love Korean food and often shop at a Korean grocery.I will follow the ladies along the isles and put the sauces and condiments they are choosing into my cart.Most of the items have no English or it’s very tiny and difficult to read.

Esteemed Contributor

I too am a Kimchi lover.  Usually when I am in a big city (such as Phoenix or Vegas) I go to a large Korean grocery and buy it there.

Honored Contributor

@patbz.My Korean friend gave me a quart jar to sample .Lunch time came and I put a little in a bowl and wow was it goodI ate most of the quart jar.Let me tell you never eat that much...omg was I in trouble!My stomach was bubbling just like the jar contents and my friend was horrified that I ate so much at once.There should be a warning for the novice.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex :  When I was 44 and pregnant, guess what I craved: kimchi.  Right at the end of my pregnancy my blood pressure went up (I had to start maternity leave and bedrest) and my Doctor was preplexed, as I had been a model patient.  That's when I mentioned my pregnancy craving with all its salt (thought my Doctor would faint.  Btw, my son also loves Kimchi.

Honored Contributor

This recipe comes from the lady who owns a local Chinese retaurant:

4 heads napa cabbage

2-3 Korean or daikon radishes

3 cups salt

1/3 cup rice flour

2/3 cup water

1-3 cups red pepper flakes

1 cup fish sauce

2 tbsps salted shrimp sauce

2 cups green onions, cut into 1" pieces

1 head garlic, peeled and crushed

1/4 cup sugar

Cut cabbage into quarters through core.  Cut diagonally into large squares until reaching the core.  Cut radish into large chunks.

Layer cabbage and radish with salt in large, flat container.  Use 1/2 cup salt per 2" of cabbage and radishes.  End with layer of salt.  Add water to almost cover.  Let stand for 1 1/2 hours.

Cover container with water to cover cabbage and remove cabbage to another container.  Empty salted water in flat container.  Return cabbage to empty flat container and cover with fresh water.  Remove cabbage to other container.  If cabbage tastes too salty, repeat rinsing procedure.  Drain in large colander.

Bring rice flour and water to boil in saucepan, stirring constantly.  Let cool.  Pour into large bowl and stir in rest of ingredients.  Mix cabbage with mixture in bowl with hands while wearing rubber gloves.  Do this with portions of cabbage a little at a time.

Place in air-tight containers.  Let sit at room temperature for 1 day, then store in fridge for a week. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter @Thanks so very much.That seems very similar to the one I had.