Valued Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

I really like jasmine rice (and I can typically "take it or leave it" when it comes to rice. 

DH likes stir fry, so I'll serve it with that.  I have a pineapple jasmine rice recipie that is really good with stir fry and it compliments bar-b-que chicken nicely, too.  Here is my (very easy) recipie:

1 cup crushed pineapple

2 t granulated sugar (this is an estimate, more or less is fine)

1 TBSP butter (again, that's approximate)

1/2 t salt (I use kosher)

1 cup jasmine rice (NOT QUICK cooking)

1/2 lime

*optional: red pepper flakes or cilantro

Combine 1 1/2 cup water, pineapple, sugar, butter, salt (and a dash of red pepper flakes, if you like). Cover and bring to a simmer.  Add rice, bring to simmer. At low heat, simmer with lid partially covered for 15 minutes. Or until water is absorbed. 

Remove from heat and put lid on pot for 5 minutes (to let it steam).  Add juice from 1/2 lime.  Depending what I'm serving it with, I sometimes top with cilantro (as much or as little as you like).

@Boomernichols .... I understand discovering "new" things at the market. We have a home in a small town. Going to the "real" grocery store is an all day extravaganza. 

This sounds yummy! Do you drain the pineapple? TIA

Honored Contributor

I had jasmine rice once and didn't care for it.  It had a flowery scent/taste.  I prefer rice to have an earthy or grassy scent/taste.

Honored Contributor

I use Jasmine and Basmati --both smell so good cooking--for everything

Valued Contributor

@QPrincess wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

I really like jasmine rice (and I can typically "take it or leave it" when it comes to rice. 

DH likes stir fry, so I'll serve it with that.  I have a pineapple jasmine rice recipie that is really good with stir fry and it compliments bar-b-que chicken nicely, too.  Here is my (very easy) recipie:

1 cup crushed pineapple

1/2 lime

Combine 1 1/2 cup water, pineapple, sugar, butter, salt (and a dash of red pepper flakes, if you like). Cover and bring to a simmer.  Add rice, bring to simmer. At low heat, simmer with lid partially covered for 15 minutes. Or until water is absorbed. 

Remove from heat and put lid on pot for 5 minutes (to let it steam).  Add juice from 1/2 lime.  Depending what I'm serving it with, I sometimes top with cilantro (as much or as little as you like).

@Boomernichols .... I understand discovering "new" things at the market. We have a home in a small town. Going to the "real" grocery store is an all day extravaganza. 

This sounds yummy! Do you drain the pineapple? TIA

@QPrincess 

No, I don't drain the pineapple (I should have mentioned it)!

Valued Contributor
I use Jasmine rice all the time, in all recipes. It’s the best, imo.
Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD  Basmati is my go to rice, but I also enjoy Jasmine rice too, both have such  good taste and creamy texture.

Super Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

1 cup crushed pineapple

1/2 lime

this looks yummy -- - thanks @Mellyg!